Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

360 rebuild advise

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
LOL...i see what your saying about how fast a 360 can trun into a 390. And i have already been re-assured ( :rotz: sigh) by the man who pick the block up that it is in fact a 390.
There is no way = NONE that someone can tell one FE engine from another by lookin' at it.

Private sellers usually have no clue, and can lie just as well as used car dealers and lawyers.

Measure the stroke FIRST before buying it, or you may end up with another 360, or a 352, or a 332. Or who knows?.

Your right Bill.No one can tell you a 390 from a 360 from looking at it.But guess what.Your not the only one in the world that knows you have to messure the stroke.The person who inspected the block would be my grandfather who has built race cars since moonshining days and built engines for such people as Don Garlits The grand daddy of rag raceing out of ocala FL.And the man who is selling me the block has worked on top fuel cars since they where sling shots.So the next time you think someone besides yourself knows WTF there doing or talking about.You might wanna do a little back ground check.:)

ANYWAYS.SO about those pistons.Anyone got any good sugestions.Never really tinkered with ford a whole lot or this engine at all.What one person might use someone else might not prefer.I like hearing pros and cons.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Your right Bill.No one can tell you a 390 from a 360 from looking at it.But guess what.Your not the only one in the world that knows you have to messure the stroke.The person who inspected the block would be my grandfather who has built race cars since moonshining days and built engines for such people as Don Garlits The grand daddy of rag raceing out of ocala FL.And the man who is selling me the block has worked on top fuel cars since they where sling shots.So the next time you think someone besides yourself knows WTF there doing or talking about.You might wanna do a little back ground check.:)
Uh huh. You claimed that 360 pistons were identical to 390's (post #5). From whom did you get that nonsense from?

Anyone that has built FE engines would know from the get go that 390 pistons are different from 360's. 360 engines were only installed in 1968/76 F100/350's. Not one was installed in anything else.

I believe in checking everything when buying an engine...regardless of who is selling it. If you don't do the same, who knows what you'll end up with?

If you want piston suggestions, why don't you ask your grandfather what he suggests, since he built engines for moonshiners, Garlits and etc.

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Uh huh. You claimed that 360 pistons were identical to 390's (post #5). From whom did you get that nonsense from?

Anyone that has built FE engines would know from the get go that 390 pistons are different from 360's. 360 engines were only installed in 1968/76 F100/350's. Not one was installed in anything else.

I believe in checking everything when buying an engine...regardless of who is selling it. If you don't do the same, who knows what you'll end up with?

If you want piston suggestions, why don't you ask your grandfather what he suggests, since he built engines for moonshiners, Garlits and etc.

Speaking of pistons, How many different pistons were offered in the FE 410 motor. I have one here I will be building for my 66 F100 but from what I've seen there isn't that many to select from and there expensive. Thinking of turning the 410 into a 428.

Well bill i got nothing on your remark about asking them.So BILL do YOU have any good advise on a good high compression piston.I heard and read alot of Silv-O-Lites being the best.Just wanted to get a experts opinion.Someone who has been dealing with FE engines since they came out.Experiance is the key.Im a first time ford owner.

Ford Truck Articles