Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

3D printing

I was watching counting cars the other night and one of the workers suggested using a 3D printer to make some new red tail lamps, could you imagine in a few years when people have these in there homes and being able to re-produce your own plastic parts for these trucks..Just a thought.smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That would be very cool!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I know for a fact that I will own a 3D printer in the coming years. The possibilities are endless as to what you can create.

Depending on how big a printer you have you could make the instrument bezels the backing for the gauges abd speedo, door panels, front grille inserts and even marker light lenses, you could even modify parts to your needs.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You just need an engineer nerd who likes the same things you do, so he'll draft all the parts for you.

Ryan

rambler

New Shoes......
saw that show,, so instead he paid $1000 for NOS lenses..

but it would only be cheaper if he already had the printer and the codes to print them..

Makerbot has one coming out for $1,375 (http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-mini)

Also, there are also services like shapeways that will do the 3d printing for you (adding their premium to the price). They also have places where you can connect with a 3d designer.

For truck pieces though, you really don't want it designed, but laser scanned. Maybe one day it will be a new forum section, we'll have old manuals in one, and 3d scans in another. :)

I've seen some 3D printers for $2,000 to $3,000 but I haven't really looked very hard.

If these things are like most such items, the price WILL come down - A lot.

The cool thing about them is the input files can be shared. So, if Joe comes up with an interesting part, product, etc, he can send the file to Sam. Then, Sam can duplicate the piece or modify the file to change the design, etc.

I haven't priced the tape (think ink) for them. But, that is a consideration as well.

Another way to use them is to make an "original" item in plastic and use the plastic part to create a mold for metal casting of the part.

Here's a little more info:

http://makezine.com/2012/12/26/helpful-tips-for-the-new-3d-printer-owner/

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts