Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

3G alternator upgrade

Has any one done this to one of our trucks?I have read up on it some and you can get the parts at a junkyard.I would like to see pics of one installed.I understand part of the write ups put not to sure about how to wire it back up after you install the new alter and remove to old wiring and voltage reg.Thinking about doing this if I can figure out the wiring part.Thanks Tony

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
This is a 2 G to 3 G. Your 1 G would be similar

This is my 90, start by taking the fusible link for the alternator off the solenoid, It feeds the alternator in 2g, I think it goes to your voltage regulator.

3Gsetup007.jpg

Remove the wires from the alternator.

3Gsetup008.jpg

My finger points to the green/red tracer wire. clip this right at the alternator, you will be using it later.

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/dustybumpers/?action=view&current=3Gsetup009.jpg

I haven't a picture of the back of the alternator, but it is easy.

The large threaded post gets a 4 guage wire, that goes to a 175 amp fuse on the firewall. the other side of the fuse goes to the hot side of the solenoid.

The middle wire in the plug goes to the square plug, just like the harness you got with the alternator. The left wire 10 guage wire goes back to the threaded post. The right wire gets hooked to your green/ red tracer wire. That is the hot only with the key on.

Here's how I brought the wire to the fuse, then to the solenoid. Pay no attention to the mega fuse, that's for my electric fans.

3Gsetup001.jpg

3Gsetup003.jpg

This is the fuse, I carry a spare, but have never needed it

3Gsetup011.jpg

Here's the 3 G in place

3Gsetup005.jpg

3Gsetup004.jpg

If You aren't clear on the wiring, let me know, I can draw up something

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I converted to 3g on my diesel and wired it up into the factory stuff. One is a sensing wire for the alternator(it just loops onto itself), one is a wire for the battery gauge and one is to the stud on the back of the alternator.

Ford Truck Articles