Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

410 build up

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I always have cut the filters up...just to check...but it sounds like you aren't gonna have any problems this time around which is good news!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Just took it out for a spin with the windows up so I could hear if it was pingin. I took it up hills at 60 and floored it and no pings also tried it just to where I dould hear the secondaries open and still nothin. I did change the dirty fuel filter that was on it. I put a new one on when we rebuilt it so I think I picked up some bad gas and it clogged the filter up and made it ping. I replaced it and ran two tanks of premium through it to make sure it would be good and now its fine. Im gonna try mid grade on the next tank then see how it does. Problem is the holiday station runs out of gas so often that the truck comes every couple days so I need to time it right so I get there right before they fill it up.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Little update.
Dad got me a new Ford electronic ignition distributor for a 76 for christmas and we hooked up the MSD box to it and really woke it up. Still tryin to get the timing dialed in with the new distributor but im gettin pretty close. It does have a leak on the intake that well fix in the spring but for now its not too bad just uses half a quart ever 60 miles or so. No smoke out of the pipes after the cylinders get warmed up. Only runs on premium but thats what we were expectin it to do. The back tires are really hatin life right now though. Aint got a chance to hook a trailer to it yet to see how it pulls but hopefully well get to test it pretty soon. Probly gonna swap to a fan clutch in the spring as well. I cant hear the exhaust over the fan.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool...glad to hear everything is working out this time!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is it vacuum operated?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yes and its got that first year of EFI so its a nightmare tryin to find vacuum leaks on the thing cause theres so many differnt brittle plastic lines.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well didnt want to wait till it warmed up so I put the fan clutch on today and it makes a huge differnce in how easy it revs up. The rear tires really hated life today.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Glad to see that it's running good at last. When you set your timing you should have the distributor hold down just loose enough to be able to force the distributor to move. Then check your total timing at 2,000 rpm, I suggest that you try 38' to start and if you still get a ping just back it down 1 or 2 degrees at a time. If you get no ping you can advance the timing 2 degrees at a time until you have poor performance or economy. 38 degrees is generally the best for the FE series and no more than 42 degrees but that can vary due to fuel, compression or altitude. And, NEVER put used lifters on a new or different cam than they were originally used on. Your lifters may have failed due to coil stack or binding. Before using those heads again you should make certain that the valves will open the amount of the advertized lift at the valve. Some times the newer design cams have much higher lifts than the older '60s and 70s design heads can accomodate with out modification in the valve seal and spring seat areas. In any case building engines can be compared to poker, learning is usually expensive.

Well after messin around with it for a while we put our msd on it that we had from the last truck. The problem now is its pingin again but only when I go up a hill at highway speed then floor it. We have a stock duraspark distributor from a newer truck and then the msd box and coil. We though first it was a fuel issue so we swapped the secondary jets out and it helped some but when I put my initial timing back to 8-10 it got worse so we thought it needed even more fuel so we swapped a 750 carb on it and it just flooded it. So what id like to know is how can I mess with the total timing in order to bump it down enough to keep it from pingin at WOT. Im runnin premium now and its at 2500 rpm when I put my foot in it. Ive read that in some theres an allen head screw inside the vacuum port but I dont know which way to turn it if it does have one.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Never mind I fixed it today we took the top of the distributor apart to check which slot the wieghts were on and in the process found that the little roll pin that holds the thing under the rotor had slipped down too far so we think that it mighta been throwin it off. Also found the little allen screw inside the vacuum advance and turned it down some now it runs like a dream and no pings on premium so the next tank were gonna try mid grade and see how it goes.
Edit I found this site that has some very good info.
http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/advance.htm

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Played around with the carb some more today and swapped some differnt meterin rods in it and put smaller secondary jets in and it woke it right up I also filled it with mid grade so well see how it runs on that whe I go into town.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Aint updated this in awhile. Still wont quit pingin and it was actin awful doggy like the timing was retarded so I bought a remanned quadrajet and dad put it on yesterday while I was at work and it turned that motor into a monster. Dad filled it up last night at flyin J and it made it ping like crazy so I think he picked up some bad gas and its plugged the filters up so bad that its starvin for fuel. I dont think ill ever use an edelbrock again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts