Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

410 build up

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
We had them heads gone through but I think that when my 428 blew up with those heads on it it mightve cracked somethin and got missed when the machine shop sonic checked em. The heads that we just put on it that dont smoke were done by the same machine shop and weve taken stuff to em before this and they did a great job. Ill definitly remember what to do and what not to do next time we rebuild one.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
We had them heads gone through but I think that when my 428 blew up with those heads on it it mightve cracked somethin and got missed when the machine shop sonic checked em. The heads that we just put on it that dont smoke were done by the same machine shop and weve taken stuff to em before this and they did a great job. Ill definitly remember what to do and what not to do next time we rebuild one.

Sonic check is good, but have them magnafluxed as well.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I think that we got er fixed this time I bumped the timing back a hair and got some lead addative to keep it from pingin till this tank runs out and I can put some premium in it. Didnt see any smoke out the pipes so it musta been the heads. Got some snow last night as well so I got to try out the block heater and see how it starts in the cold. Its runnin really good and has great power.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds great Dan...glad you got her going...now keep it that way...haha.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got the filter changed and the oil dont look the best but I think itll be ok for a little while longer. Ill change it at 500 miles. Its got 100 on it now and its runnin great.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Good to hear Dan...just went back and read what I missed. Sounds like she oughta hold up this time around.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Still runnin good just took it up in the mountains yesterday and didnt have a problem till I tried to start it to come home. It was just a little hard to start cause the fuel drained out of the bowls from parkin on a wierd angle. Its got tons of low end torque and itll bog down great Itll need premium I think cause it pings a little when the secondaries start to kick in Ive got 88 in it and some lead addative but I didnt get the right stuff for it.

Last edited:
Engine building and Poker

Glad to see that it's running good at last. When you set your timing you should have the distributor hold down just loose enough to be able to force the distributor to move. Then check your total timing at 2,000 rpm, I suggest that you try 38' to start and if you still get a ping just back it down 1 or 2 degrees at a time. If you get no ping you can advance the timing 2 degrees at a time until you have poor performance or economy. 38 degrees is generally the best for the FE series and no more than 42 degrees but that can vary due to fuel, compression or altitude. And, NEVER put used lifters on a new or different cam than they were originally used on. Your lifters may have failed due to coil stack or binding. Before using those heads again you should make certain that the valves will open the amount of the advertized lift at the valve. Some times the newer design cams have much higher lifts than the older '60s and 70s design heads can accomodate with out modification in the valve seal and spring seat areas. In any case building engines can be compared to poker, learning is usually expensive.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Thanks I keep the clamp loose enough so I can move it around if I need to but tight enough to where it wont move by itself or get bumped. Im gonna burn the rest of this tank and then try it out with premium and see what it does. We got to lookin at them heads and noticed that the tops of the springs and valves were all at differnt heights. We talked to crower about that last cam that it ate and they told us that it didnt need any modifications to the springs, valves or pushrods. I think the problem was the pushrods bein too long and forcin the lifters down on the cam and causin too much friction. When we were puttin it back together this last time we were able to spin the pushrods where before we couldnt. If the fuel dont fix the pingin then ill look at the timing again I might still have it a hair too far advanced but not much.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well got about 450 miles on it now and its still runnin great. Ive done two oil changes to get all the metal out of the oil. Im gonna do another one in the next 250 miles or so and keep doin that untill I get about 1500 miles or more on it. The next thing were gonna do to it hopefully before the snow flies is put the MSD box on it that we had on my 76 and get a Ford electronic distributor for a 76 to get rid of the points on it. It oughta wake it up quite a bit. Were not gonna get a MSD distributor cause we want to keep the vacuum advance on it and its a ton cheaper. I also put some premium in it and changed the fuel filter which was incredibly dirty for only runnin it for a little while. Its been windy here so I havent been able to hear it to see if it pings or not. Im gonna take it out tomorrow and see if I can hear it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Glad to hear that it is running good Dan!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yep for now anyways I hope it stays together this time I was really sweatin over that 400 mile mark cause the first one went at 400 on the dot. It suvived drivin out to moms though so thats an hour drive through the desert without too many people drivin through on a week day.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Was there much crud in the oil when you changed it?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did you cut the filter apart?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
No I just chucked it. Thats whats been in the pan before though when we dropped it. Its just really fine metal powder mixed with oil so thats what makes the silver streaks. Its alot better now than it was before. I think that it was brown cause its gotta flush all the royal purple crap out. Theres no big shavings or stuff like that. Maybe ill dig it out of the garbage tomorrow and cut it open.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts