Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 wheel lock

The front drivers side wheel started making noises this week. It started intermittently, but is now constant. I do not fully understand how they work, I have the auto locks. It sounds like it is trying to engage but the spline is grinding. There is grinding and rattling coming from the wheel. I have a diagram of the parts, is there a common one that fails. This is my first 4x4, how difficult is it to take this apart and get back together? thanks

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Im not too sure on the auto locking hubs. But check to see if the dial is in the middle somewhere. Make.sure it should be set to auto or off

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
If its an auto hub of this generation, it wont have a dial. The auto hubs are generally pretty weak. Its more than likely trashed. Upgrade them to Warn lockout hubs for added strength and reliability.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I stand corrected... told ya I wasn't too sure. Im used to the newer super duty auto hubs

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
If its making moise get it off asap . They can break down and chunks can ruin bearings and races . I Had it happen. I like the autos but they r old and weak to say the least .

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Id swith em to manual hubs. I love mine. I just hate gettin out to lock/unlock em and climb back in

Ford Truck Articles