Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'56 Trivia

Did you know the brochures were actually produced BEFORE the cars back then, and that the brochures rarely were a complete match to what the finished cars looked like? Usually there were several differences in trim and options.
Oh your knee.... what, a tilt steering wheel? hehe

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Did you know the brochures were actually produced BEFORE the cars back then, and that the brochures rarely were a complete match to what the finished cars looked like? Usually there were several differences in trim and options.
Oh your knee.... what, a tilt steering wheel? hehe
No, the famous knee knocker...not a tilt wheel, or as they called them in Model T times = a fat man wheel.

That brochure pic has been airbrushed to death. Anyone that knows these cars can see the rear quarter windows weren't anywhere near that long. Add a rear door opening: Voila! A Fordor hardtop. The roof is the same 1952/56, with one difference.

Fordor is correct, btw. That's how Henry wanted it spelt. A 2 dr is a Tudor.

and...A coop is for chickens. Coupe = cou pay.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
MY cousin had a ch**y Tudor Sedan (think that is what it was called). I think it was a 34. It was all original barn find. Even the seat material (really brittle though). It was fun to put around it. It has a 4 banger with babbit bearings. Funny sounding little engine. Tiny exhaust pipe.

He traded it as the down payment on a house when he got married. :( confused

The last time I saw it a guy in Mountain View, AR had it.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
OK fellow fanatics, the brochure says 1956, but if one major thing was different, this would be a 1955. If two major things were different, it would be a 1954.

By using this picture, what is the major difference between 1954 and 1955? 1955 and 1956?

Difference between the '54 and the '55- everything? The Fairlane appeared in '55, along with the Crown Vic, new chassis/frame (?), new styling. Typical stuff- ran faster, jumped higher.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Difference between the '54 and the '55- everything? The Fairlane appeared in '55, along with the Crown Vic, new chassis/frame (?), new styling. Typical stuff- ran faster, jumped higher.
What are the differences in the picture between the 1955/56? The steering wheel is the major difference.

What is the difference between the 1954/55 just by using that pic?

The 1952/56's are the same understructure, same frame, same basic Ford-O-Matic, same Spicer 44 rear axle. Suspension front and rear is the same. Y block new in 1954. The roof is the same 52/56 except for one major difference. The doors, less window frames and decklid will exchange. Back glass is the same, as is the quarter glass. The 1955/56 CV, with its wide band of chrome over the roof, doesn't disguise the fact it's still a 1952 roof. Some 1955 CV's have a plexiglas roof, as did the 1954 Skyliners (the '54 Merc version was called a Sun Valley). A token few (6?) 1956 CV's with a plexi roof were made. 1956's were 12 volt negative ground. Previous Fords were 6 volt positive ground.

The Fairlane of 1955 replaced the upscale Crestliner of 1954.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The 55 Y-block was an odd size. I can't remember what it was (Bill?). The 56 and later Y-block parts (mostly) won't exchange with it. As far as I know from 56-64 (truck Y-blocks) a lot of the parts will interchange.
1954 Ford Y block is an oddball, one yr only engine. It's the same cubic inches as the previous flathead (239). 1955's saw the first optional 292 = cars only. 272 was optional in 1955 over the 223 I-6. 312 optional in 1956 over the 292 (272 dropped) = cars only. Fords/Merc cars: First power steering/brakes = 1953. First power windows/seats = 1954.

Y blocks: 1955/64 many parts interchange, it's the '54's that are the oddballs. Different timing cover, different fan/waterpump among other things.

Did'ja know that the FE (332/352/361/390/406/410/427/428) engines are also Y blocks? No one calls them that, but one look at the front of the engine is all it takes.

.....Did'ja know that the FE (332/352/361/390/406/410/427/428) engines are also Y blocks? No one calls them that, but one look at the front of the engine is all it takes.

No...I didn't know that. I don't recall ever seeing one of those out where I could see the shape. I will have to watch for one in a vehicle.

What does FE stand for? I never heard that until I saw it on "the other site".

I came into vehicles a little later down the line. My first ford had a 351 C.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
What are the differences in the picture between the 1955/56? The steering wheel is the major difference.

What is the difference between the 1954/55 just by using that pic?

The 1952/56's are the same understructure, same frame, same basic Ford-O-Matic, same Spicer 44 rear axle. Suspension front and rear is the same. Y block new in 1954. The roof is the same 52/56 except for one major difference. The doors, less window frames and decklid will exchange. Back glass is the same, as is the quarter glass. The 1955/56 CV, with its wide band of chrome over the roof, doesn't disguise the fact it's still a 1952 roof. Some 1955 CV's have a plexiglas roof, as did the 1954 Skyliners (the '54 Merc version was called a Sun Valley). A token few (6?) 1956 CV's with a plexi roof were made. 1956's were 12 volt negative ground. Previous Fords were 6 volt positive ground.

The Fairlane of 1955 replaced the upscale Crestliner of 1954.

Could've sworn the roof's of the 2-Door Victorias were different in '55. That just my imagination (look at the back windows)?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Could've sworn the roof's of the 2-Door Victorias were different in '55. That just my imagination (look at the back windows)?
Quarter glass is different on the CV's (CV only) because of the "basket handle" trim piece. Behind the basket handle the roof is the same.

OK, I don't care the differences....they BOTH make me DROOL...

I grew up with one of those outside my neighbor's house, that color. I guess its the nostalgia...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts