Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0L Injection Strategy (factory)

Watching the videos on the new 6.7L PSD, and more specifically the one that contrasts the change in engine noise kind of got me thinking. I am aware that the 6.0L uses Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injection vs Piezo Electric injectors on the 6.4 and 6.7.

1) Can somebody explain the differences in injection strategy in terms of the number of injections per cycle between the 6.4 and the 6.0?

2) Have there been any changes to that strategy in the 6.0 from year to year with factory updates?

From what I seem to remember the 6.0 utilizes 2 shots/cycle(pilot and main injection) when the engine is above a given temperature due to the oil viscosity.

Last edited:
No sir, it's not a dumb question.

When the 6.0 was introduced, the first problem that surfaced was injector related. The early '03 6.0 had C-93 injectors and "pilot" or aka "split shot" injection strategy. When the 6.0 was introduced one of the hypes was it's quietness compared to the 7.3 it replaced. This was accomplished with an ultra high pressure fuel injection system, multiple times higher than the 7.3, and a multiple injection strategy.

It's my understanding that between the time of development and the time of introduction into the '03 Superduties, .gov changed the formulation of diesel and the % of sulpher contained therein resulting in injector failure on a massive scale. The results of Ford/International scramble trying to correct this and other teething problems was the C-94 injector and the loss of the "pilot" or "split shot" injection and a noisier 6.0 than when it was introduced.

No sir, it's not a dumb question.

When the 6.0 was introduced, the first problem that surfaced was injector related. The early '03 6.0 had C-93 injectors and "pilot" or aka "split shot" injection strategy. When the 6.0 was introduced one of the hypes was it's quietness compared to the 7.3 it replaced. This was accomplished with an ultra high pressure fuel injection system, multiple times higher than the 7.3, and a multiple injection strategy.

It's my understanding that between the time of development and the time of introduction into the '03 Superduties, .gov changed the formulation of diesel and the % of sulpher contained therein resulting in injector failure on a massive scale. The results of Ford/International scramble trying to correct this and other teething problems was the C-94 injector and the loss of the "pilot" or "split shot" injection and a noisier 6.0 than when it was introduced.

I was always confused by the claim that the 6.0 is quieter than the 7.3. It never seemed that way to me.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The C93 injectors of the early 6.0L motors could not keep up with the "pilot injection" programming. It was a an internal "plunger issue" of the injector itself. Even with the revised C94 injectors, Ford de-programmed the motors and did away with the pilot injection.

It was this "feature" of pilot injection that made the truck quieter, along with the original EGR valve strategy and the higher mileage we all saw in the early days.

In order to prevent injector failure, EGR valve issues and de-tune some of the HP out of the motor... all in the name of longevity... Ford found out that their programming (not Intl's) was to agressive for the way the 6.0L was designed and built by Int'l.

By the way... I have had every flash Ford has released and purposely want the latest strategy. I have all 8 of the original C94 injectors and have had zero problems with them. I now have 163,500 miles on my motor and always use PowerService additve in the fuel, Rotella-synthetic 5W-40 oil since 50,000 and only OEM oil filters.

Clean oil and fuel makes 100% difference to these injectors since it takes both to lubricate, operate and fire them!!!

Last edited:
I have all 8 of the original C94 injectors and have had zero problems with them. I now have 163,500 miles on my motor and always use PowerService additve in the fuel, Rotella-synthetic 5W-40 oil since 50,000 and only OEM oil filters.

Confused. You have an '03. Do you mean original C93 injectors?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Confused. You have an '03. Do you mean original C93 injectors?

Yes... original, factory, OEM, stock, "born-with", injectors......

My motor build date was March 2003 (if my 45 year old memory is still working correctly) and I purchased it new in August 2003.

The only thing I have replaced on my motor is the ICP sensor due to a very small drip (only when wiped with a finger). No leaks, drips or errors with this motor and tranny.

All I have added is a dieseleite coolant filter, Magnafine P/S fluid filter, Fumoto oil drain valve and Racor by-pass oil filter (only becuase it was free). Heck... I may think about adding a Magnafine in-line filter to my window washer fluid line... THAT WOULD BE A FIRST on a Powerstroke!!!!

Ford Truck Articles