Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 f35rough idle

my 2001 7.3 powerstroke starts really rough and has no power when it sits over night or for long periods of time. after 20 minutes of warm up it runs like its brand new. anybody have any input or ideas to help? i've had it into a mechanic and 2 different ford dealers and the only thing they could do was charge me......

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Welcome to FTF! :wavey:

As far as your question, I can't answer that because I don't know much about them.

Somebody around here should be able to help you though! YelloThumbUp

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
my 2001 7.3 powerstroke starts really rough and has no power when it sits over night or for long periods of time. after 20 minutes of warm up it runs like its brand new. anybody have any input or ideas to help? i've had it into a mechanic and 2 different ford dealers and the only thing they could do was charge me......
Are the glow plugs operating correctly? For a diesel to run correctly, there needs to be adequate heat in the combustion chamber.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
If it's cold out the waste gate will stay closed restricting power untill up to normal operating temp. You may also have issues with the glow plugs if it runs rough or starts hard when cold.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
First thought was glow plugs not working and/or injector problems.
How many miles on the engine?

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Check your batteries. Low batteries on these trucks does funny things. Then check the GP relay. Your UVC harness may be coming lose as well. Which could also be a cause to not all glow plugs lighting up. Bluish/black smoke right after startup?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts