Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A Little Rusted Out.

Thought I would post some pics for all you southern folk that don't have to deal with rust.

The running board on the wifes 99 Expedition was sagging down a bit in front, and after crawling under to check it out the support piece thats in between the black plastic and the mounts was completely rotted away. found one at the local Pull A Part for $14.87. complete with lights and all brackets. Didn't think for the money it was a bad deal.

12-20-11_025.jpg

Just look at how much metal is missing!
12-20-11_028.jpg

12-20-11_027.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ouch...

Yeah, though- that's the way it goes in the frozen north. :(

:drop: :drop: Ive never seen anything like that on such a new vehicle - Would it be worthwhile getting the new running boards hot dip galvanized to save having to replace them again?
Is it just the salt on the roads doing that?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wow..that is something else!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
That looks typical for the area and all the salt and brine mixtures.
they treat the roads with around here so heavy they are white with salt and it gets in every nook and cranny and eat the vehicles away..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm surprised there is that much rust though, the roads here get white with the salt/sand/gravel mix and you typically don't see rust like that.

Yeah the missing metal was a surprise. Didn't do any thing with the replacement other than clean off the dirt that was trapped in between, if we keep it than its on my list to be cleaned and repainted. The entire under carrage is rusted. The po owner parked it buy his barn in the grass where it sat for long periods of time. He said he only drove it twice in the last year.

amkatt1 said:
Yuk, lucky that they didn't give away when getting in and out of the truck. Could have caused a bad fall !!

It was actually resting on the front two brackets unattached.

5.0Flareside said:
Glad im in TN!!!!!

Been doing some thinking about my next truck. Have a friend in San Antonio, tx. Will try to spend a few days down south, buy and drive one back.

I'd undercoat the ones you're putting one good so they dnt do the same

Does galvanising work against the salt etc ?

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
The 97 i had had that same plastic trim on the bottom of the doors and one of them fell off and the door was completly rotted away underneath....something to keep in mind.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
:drop:

Forget the south- I've seen rustbuckets in Florida on the coast.

I can show you underneath a '95 rust free F150 with a little over 200K on the clock. Or my '01 Marquis.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts