Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

All I can say is wow. Wow. wOw WoW. 390 woes revisited, teardown pics.

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
Some of you might remember, I was working on a truck for an old timer who got it from his dead brother yada yada yada... Well today I was messing with it, screwed up real good.

Let me just open this up by saying this old girl does not like me. I got suckered into working on it, I have to fix 2 so called mechanics mistakes.

The story I heard from the owner (about the engine) was that his brother had it rebuilt,(apparently it was the heads only) it had blown up right after he got it, the motor was a built HP 390. He died, his brother (my customer) inherited it. He drove it 2+ hours to get it home, without the radiator cap on. He stopped the truck when he heard it pinging/ticking. One shop said the engine was fried, however an aquaintence of his said he could fix the headgasket. When he got it back, oh boy... THis thing had leaks at both ends of the manifolds, valve covers leak, hack mechanic charges $1500 to do the headgasket, truck smokes and runs terribly. It came back with a Qjet on it, instead of the carter that was on it. The guy essentially ripped him off, he was taken to court, got off scott free. (He was not licensed or insured to do mechanicing work.)

When I got the truck, I did a compression check, the numbers were miserable. Hot, the highest was 125, lowest was 100, average was 110. On a dead cold compression check, the numbers were 60-80# dry, 80-100 wet. Engine was still difficult to start. New motor oil had excessive metal flakes in it. Tested the coil, and various voltages, re-gapped the points, new plug wires and plugs, cap/rotor good.. It had a piston slap/valvetrain noise coming from the passenger side, the drivers side of the motor smoked heavily when cold, mild when warm. I changed the mismatched spark plugs and plug wires, made a dumbo move of not checking TDC on the cap when I yanked the wires, and was awarded for my mistake once I corrected it...
burnhair.jpg

After I get over that, I retest the compression, to make sure I was not stupid, and decided it was time for a leakdown test. 70% leakdown at TDC of a couple of cylinders, no pressure on the crank at all. Rotate the motor 20*, leakdown dropped to 30%.
I tell the customer my findings, he wants me to put another motor into it.. When I give him a quote, he balks, says he does not have the money for that, nor has the money to pay me for the parts and labor I have into it already.. Great... So I am holding on to the truck (he wants me to buy him out on it) and tinkering on it when I can. I was hoping to find the right combination of fixes and bandaids to get this thing to start on command, and dump it back at his house so I did not have to deal with it any longer.

Well today I was messing with it trying to get it to start. At one point and time, I had it reasonably easy to start, but this was like a patient with liver failure, everyday it got worse and worse. I tried starting, seen there was "smoke" coming from the front of the motor. I tried again with the remote starter, yanked the breather, sure enough, lots of blowby when trying to start... I decided to work on the weak accelerator pump the carb had. I was trying to clean the passage way out, wound up dropped the check ball down the carburetor. I go to remove the carb, and halfway off, I disturb the throttle, and loose the piece into the manifold.... Great... I wound up yanking the manifold, decided while I was into it that far, would not hurt to yank the head since I was already that far into it....... I had already seen this little gem when I did the plugs...
pistonhead.jpg

This motor was fried worse than I though it was...

You can see the seat they installed, I thought the valve was stuck. I cranked it while the intake was off, trying to pop the head off with the head bolts out. It was blowing compression back into the intake port.

390wow1.jpg

This is how the rest of the vavles look.
390wow2.jpg

Nice seat work huh?

390wow3.jpg

390wow4.jpg

390wow5.jpg

Look, its sale day, Magically this motor grew 30CI!! 3.5" stroke
390wow6.jpg

What do you suppose my compression ratio is with D2TE heads, with the pistons .120 in the hole?
390wow7.jpg

390wow8.jpg

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Nice singe on your whole head there. Carb. backfire?

masterbeavis

Yup. I was a dummy and did not verify where #1 was in relation to where it was supposed to be. Truck would not start, I figured out the problem, fixed it, tried starting it again, singed the crap outta myself, it fired right up....

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Why is that weird half moon mark on the Piston is that from a valve smaking the top of it it?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yup. I was a dummy and did not verify where #1 was in relation to where it was supposed to be. Truck would not start, I figured out the problem, fixed it, tried starting it again, singed the crap outta myself, it fired right up....
Last time I did that was when I was ethering a tire to inflate it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think I'd pull the piston and rod. Whatever was in the cylinder that made the pattern in the piston, may have bent the rod as well. Then you'd have a longer stroke measurement, and the piston will sit lower at TDC.

Maybe this would be a good thread to post pics of the 429 I bought in Surrey B.C. back in 1990 ?

I got totally screwed on that deal.

masterbeavis

A boss '9 is the rare motor you probably are thinking about. Light duty 429 engines (not the 429 that they put in F500+ trucks) were not plentiful as 460s, but there are/were quite a few out there.

On this motor, the pistons all sat this deep in the hole give or take a thou.

masterbeavis

It is a factory dog (bastard) motor built for emissions. I have seen pistons .040 in the hole, but nothing as bad as this. All I could do is shake my head and go wow.....

masterbeavis

This motor is going into the junk pile once I pull the pan and she if there are any goodies inside (which I doubt) A used 360 will be taking its place.

masterbeavis

The 1 head is fubar'd, it should have been scrapped instead of rebuilt. Yes, the shortblock can be rebuilt, but it needs more money than what anyone wants to put in it. Crank, pistons (rods?) overbore, will be $1500 in parts/labor... Used engine $50.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts