Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Annoying ABS/E Brake light

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
My ABS light and E-Brake light have been illuminated for 3-4 months now and its beginning to annoy me enough that I want to fix it. I was told about that time ago that the reason the lights were on was because there was some sort of valve that isnt opening and closing properly which also made it so the rear brakes would release late, but the mechanic had said the only way to fix that valve was to replace the entire unit, and wanted lke $450 to do it, so I said F that, I will just live with the ABS and Ebrake lights in the mean time, but do you guys know what this part is that he was talking about? I would like to buy it and maybe try and do it myself, only problem is that i assume you need to drain the breaks?

I don't know if they are even remotely the same, but on my 89 ranger the RABS (before complete ABS) was right under the cab on the drivers side. I think it was mounted to the frame. It has brake lines that go into and out of it.

Yes...you will lose brake fluid and have to bleed the brakes. I think there is some special order or procedure to follow with ABS. I will let the guys with newer vehicles explain that part.

Also...if this were in the ford tech forum...you might gets more professional answers.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Brian the abs unit is right around that area; I believe it's actually on the firewall under the break booster. But the actual rabs SENSOR is on the rear axle. Now on a 95 the rabs sensor is also what provides a signal to your speedometer (also known as a vehicle speed sensor) so if your speedo is giving a good reading your vss/rabs sensor is probably fine. I'd pull the codes and see if you get anything. It might be the rabs unit on the firewall.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
thank you guys that sounds like a good idea

That happened on my dad's truck (89 F150 4x4), he just changed the brakes all around with new ones and the light went off so thats probably just what his needed.

andym

Real men are fanatics
The RABS module is on the frame, not the firewall. You can easily spot it; it's the only thing under there with brake lines going in & out of it. :)

You have two choices... the expensive way or the cheap way.

First you have to understand that Ford's implementation of RABS sucks in these trucks. Just flat out sucks. For one, there's only one sensor, so the system only works if one wheel locks up. Even then, it will pulse both rear brakes regardless of which one is locked. This can actually *increase* stopping time because it's pulsing the wheel that isn't locked up. Smart, right?

What I would do instead of spending $450 on a new module is spend $4 on a new piece of brake line to go in place of the module. Pull the fuse and the bulb in the dash for the ABS and it'll be fine. You won't have RABS anymore, but like I said, you aren't missing much.

Yes, you will still have to bleed your brakes. But that's super easy to do.

The brake light being on is a different story. You're most likely low on fluid in the reservoir. If it is low, then you either have a leak (could be the RABS valve) or your front pads are very low. If the reservoir gets too low, you'll suck air into the lines and then you won't have any brakes at all. Not good in a 6000 lb truck.

Check it out and let us know what you find.

The RABS module is on the frame, not the firewall. You can easily spot it; it's the only thing under there with brake lines going in & out of it. :)

You have two choices... the expensive way or the cheap way.

First you have to understand that Ford's implementation of RABS sucks in these trucks. Just flat out sucks. For one, there's only one sensor, so the system only works if one wheel locks up. Even then, it will pulse both rear brakes regardless of which one is locked. This can actually *increase* stopping time because it's pulsing the wheel that isn't locked up. Smart, right?

What I would do instead of spending $450 on a new module is spend $4 on a new piece of brake line to go in place of the module. Pull the fuse and the bulb in the dash for the ABS and it'll be fine. You won't have RABS anymore, but like I said, you aren't missing much.

Yes, you will still have to bleed your brakes. But that's super easy to do.

The brake light being on is a different story. You're most likely low on fluid in the reservoir. If it is low, then you either have a leak (could be the RABS valve) or your front pads are very low. If the reservoir gets too low, you'll suck air into the lines and then you won't have any brakes at all. Not good in a 6000 lb truck.

Check it out and let us know what you find.

I thought it was only RABS until 1991 when they had RABS2 until 1993 when they had full ABS, so wouldnt his truck have full abs?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I thought it was only RABS until 1991 when they had RABS2 until 1993 when they had full ABS, so wouldnt his truck have full abs?
Full abs could be had on broncos only my 95 F150 is rear only. AS IS the 250 parts truck I had.

Full abs could be had on broncos only my 95 F150 is rear only. AS IS the 250 parts truck I had.

Man, this Haynes repair manual I have sure is sh!t then... :hammer: :headbang:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Man, this Haynes repair manual I have sure is sh!t then... :hammer: :headbang:
Hey I could be wrong . But I know there is nothing extra wire or sensor wie that was not on the pre 93 trucks . I spent a week rebuilding front end while back and dismantled another 93 F150 right after . Hey the guys here will set us straight

Hey I could be wrong . But I know there is nothing extra wire or sensor wie that was not on the pre 93 trucks . I spent a week rebuilding front end while back and dismantled another 93 F150 right after . Hey the guys here will set us straight

No I completely believe you, this manual just sucks. Inaccurate information, not enough photos, bogus instructions, they always show a different truck than the one you havmmmm

andym

Real men are fanatics
Nope, front ABS was Bronco-only until 1997.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts