Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any one out there with a HEI on their 460?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I just installed a new HEI on my 460 and was wondering if I should just keep the factory timing or would be give me better performance if I advanced the time past the factory 12BTDC? i'm running a/c to..

texas i run one on my 501 and find 10 to 12 is good for a start what you need to know is your "total advance" that s/b aprox 36 to 38 degrees and more than that and you will run into detonation problems [ping] did you get one of those units off of ebay? if so check the rotor you may want to chuck it and get a factory gm part the one that came with my unit the brass tong came off with in minuits stopping me dead the gm part is epoxyed in and bullit proof also what i found is the ajustable vac advance my need tinkering for seat off the pants feel regurds joe

they are fine if you dont turn 5500 rpm but after that they fall apart. even the 9000 rpm coils that the big companys have only really do any good to 7000 or so.

ICE or MSD are the best distributors IMO unless you can get a crank trigger.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
they are fine if you dont turn 5500 rpm but after that they fall apart. even the 9000 rpm coils that the big companys have only really do any good to 7000 or so.

ICE or MSD are the best distributors IMO unless you can get a crank trigger.

Absolutely there are better Dizzy's out there, but for stock or mildly modified engines I think it's the best choice, one wire no Coil to mount and fairly cheap YelloThumbUp

How do the ICEs compare to the MSDs?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Absolutely there are better Dizzy's out there, but for stock or mildly modified engines I think it's the best choice, one wire no Coil to mount and fairly cheap YelloThumbUpQUOTE]

HMMM...seems to me I was making the same argument about mufflers and gpacks a few days ago. Funny how no one bit your head off for no good reason.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Either or its to much for a dizzy, dang thats spendy....

Yeah but I bet with whatever the engine costs that the dizzy would go on...$1400 would just be a drop in the bucket.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts