Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

any ranger automatic worth having?

racsan

4xford
ve been thinking that my '93 will be in need of being replaced in the next year or two, and while id rather have a manual trans, the automatics seem to be more plentiful, ive found a s/c edge with a 3.0 and a automatic for a pretty reasonable price, its a 2010, havent seen it in person, just the internet listing, its a 2wd and though id rather have another 4x4, i could live with it being a 2wd and even the 3.0, (id probly get a junkyard 2011 axle and regear it to 4.88's and put a lock-rite in) but my biggest sticking point is the auto trans, i found a longbed 2wd 2.3 i like, its the newer 4-valve 2.3, and while id love the 30 mpg highway milage (and its a manual trans) i know i wouldnt have enough motor for the 6x10 box trailer i occasionally pull, its also a 2wd.
so, basically what im wanting to know, is there a automatic to steer clear of? (besides the old a4ld) my chances of finding my "ideal" ranger are very rare, heck, ideally id like to find a 4.0 s/c 4x4 5 speed manual '97 (yes, im still a fan of ttb) with under 100K miles. my '93 is at 165K, its biggest issue is a bent/twisted frame, its still driveable, but has some "intresting" driving and handling issues because of it. and seems to be leaking from almost every seal possible....but it is a 20 year old truck.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think I've heard generally good things about the newer 5-speed autos. 5R55E, maybe? Never owned one, though.

I don't know anything about it, but I'll wonder out loud how an electronic controlled automatic would feel about a regear as deep as 4.88, too. (And, for that matter, whether you might do just as well with the 4-banger, if you're willing to gear it down like that. [confused])

Mine has the 5R55E and about half of my 55,000 miles have had a landscape trailer behind it. I don't have any issues but change the ATF with Mobil 1 every 20,000 miles. I would like to find another one with low miles for my daughter but all used ones seem to have a manual transmission. I would rethink the gear change. I am a firm believer in leaving most things stock.

racsan

4xford
well the online ad i saw was for a 2003...the 2010 on the lot is a really sweet truck, 4.0, 4x4, supercab, has a cap...only 2 things i dont like about it. its a automatic...and they want 20K for it....the '03 3.0 edge 2wd s/c is no where to be found, im guessing it sold, they only wanted 7,500 for it...guess i'll keep the '93 on the road a bit longer.....still a strong runner!

hmm, I got a an '04 EDGE SC, 2wd with 5spd, I'd take $7500 for it...!
4.10 rear axle too. California truck also, only had a few hard winters on the 'ol girl.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts