Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

any reason it shouldnt be an 88

so ive been searching for a late 70 f250 and came across a money pit or a cheap project...its an 88 ford 4x4 f150 6in skyjacker lift great body 38in tsls like new clean int....for $1500 ....and for the bad news ,, no body bolts think he man took them out to put in body lift and lost them no biggie..then there the engine is not wired up so i have no idea if it runs or auto trans works or 4 wheel drive is it worth it to take chance its in same town i live in the wiring isnt scary to me but 88s not firmilar teritory either anyone have that gen truck or know something about them is this a good deal or a set up for failure.. my budget is around 10k plan is build drive pass on to wife then get back to late 70s build just dont know if this detour is worth time n moolla im going to look it over in person this evenng ill have all pics i can get on my phone just starting the topic early.. btw you guys have been a big help already havent been a member a week yet GO FORD!

Fellro

Staff member
With the lack of familiarity, and the level of disassembly, I would pass on it for that price. You would do better to find one that hasn't been all torn apart and is operational for about the same money, which isn't hard to do around here.

Fellro thanks for the input …i may have overstated my lack of familairity I didn't mention a friend of mine is into the 80s style I like all the old fords 98 n newer not so much no disrespect 2 ne one just not my style ill get pics up asap... some one posted pics of a great lookin cc from 70s today its just a little outta my budget otherwise id have to consider it … I just think if I could buy this 88 for say 900 it would be a great base to build on is there any particular thing u would point at as discouraging

Fellro

Staff member
Main consideration is if it truly is an operable vehicle under the issues. The trans may be good, may be it isn't, there is no way to know. The motor may have a rod knock or lifter problem, there is no way to know with it not running. $900 would be better than $1500, but still think you would be better off getting one that you can drive home... Or at least hear run so you know what you have, rather than hope you have. Now, if you intend to go through both the motor and trans, then there is no reason to hold back.It all depends on what you intend to do to it and with it.

My plan is simple really build a high hp high tourque rig that sits up looks muscular rides like a log wagon but has some road maners I have a good standing with my local hotrod comunity and some experience with modular motors n the car side of things I see a 302 build and auto rebuild\upgrade as par for the course … however the whole no truck payment thing may be an equily big insentive I like to deal with cash … my first thought was a 6in lift and a set of 38s would cost at least 1500 around ohio

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If you are going to build a new motor, etc for it anyway and you can get it for $900 sounds like a good deal.

Fellro

Staff member
you can engage it, but sometimes the lockouts have to turn a bit to engage, so may have to jack up at least one wheel, lock in the hubs, and turn the drive shaft. It should engage the hubs such that the driveshaft will turn the raised wheel. Set it back down, and the driveshaft should not turn. When the hubs are unlocked, the drive shaft should turn freely, then engage the transfer case, and the driveshaft should not turn freely any more. Only check I know without it running.

wow what waist ofmy time truck was not resto worthy whats that old saying sometimes u get what u pay for ... thanks for the advice tho im gonna broden my horizions on my search i like the look of a lifted late 80s truck and if i can putit together for a lot cheaper id have to consider it

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts