Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone know if you can rewire an AWD system

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am looking at an AWD Expedition and am wanting to rewire it so when it goes into AWD it is actually in 2WD. I could always switch out the trasfer case for a manual lever action. hmmm.:wasntme:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am looking at an AWD Expedition and am wanting to rewire it so when it goes into AWD it is actually in 2WD. I could always switch out the trasfer case for a manual lever action. hmmm.:wasntme:
Transfer case is different too, Doc. AWD is done in the transfer case with clutches.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
how hard do you think it would be to swap transfer cases out?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I think for $800 I am going to give it a shot. Its got the 4.6 in it, but I think I am going to do a 5.4 swap and throw in a manual t-case. Possibly hook up an elctronic drive motor to a switch that will change the drive in the t-case.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Are you sure it is AWD? Does the knob say A4WD?

If so, it is not AWD, but instead, Automatic 4WD. Under normal use, it is in 2wd, but when it senses the rear tires slipping (like on ice) it automatically kicks the transfer case into 4wd.

Does the knob have a spot for 4hi and 4lo as well?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The positions on the knob are AWD, 4HI, and 4LO

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
OK. :) What year is it?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Our 99 is A4WD, 4HI, 4LO.

It would be interesting to find out if these are all the same model of transfer case, and if it depends on 4.6 vs 5.4. Mine is a 5.4.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Picked up a '98 with the 2HI AWD 4HI 4LO for $1200 today. Same color as Goose's with the 4.6. Prolly swap in the 5.4 after while.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Looks an aweful lot like an s10 blazer to me...LOL

I was thinking more along these lines...

PICT0897.JPG

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OK, got the Expedition home last night late. Got it off the trailer today, and started tearing into it. I bought it knowing there was a miss on the #4 cylinder. Well there is no compression on that cylinder. So sunday I am going to pop the motor out and check the head out and see if I have a burnt valve. Also bought it knowing the drivers door was damaged in an impact, figured on replacing it, no big deal. Then found out the back two windows are not going up or down as well...DAMN. So it looks like I am going to be out a little more money than I thought up front, but it will be worth it in the end.

From this point foward I am going to post in my build thread.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts