Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Asking for Advice, Tips, and Good jokes

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Coors, Corona, or Guiness. Coors Light if I have to

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
I already get better than 9MPG, but I'm up for suggestions

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Hey, does anyone know of a website I can go to to see different paint scheme's on my truck?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I tried the whole good gas mileage thing for awhile, then i gave up... Trucks aren't built for good mileage... They are built to haul stuff and go off road... So thats what i do with my truck, and i keep my foot on the floor. I get chit done!

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
well, i surely do alot of hauling, and until I get the tranny straightened out, I ain't gonna be doing much muddin. The Tranny shifts hard from first to second, and sometime from second to third. I asked the guy about it that I bought the truck from, and he said it was normal. I doubt it, cause my mom's boyfriend has a 96 that doesn't do that.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well, i surely do alot of hauling, and until I get the tranny straightened out, I ain't gonna be doing much muddin. The Tranny shifts hard from first to second, and sometime from second to third. I asked the guy about it that I bought the truck from, and he said it was normal. I doubt it, cause my mom's boyfriend has a 96 that doesn't do that.

that actually means your tranny is in good shape. that means there is less slipage. and also what kind of mileage are you getting right now? and what gears do you have?

Last edited:

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
I don't know the gear ratio, and a take of gas last me about 3-4 days. 40 miles round trip to work. Course being in traffic doesn't help, I know. Do you know where I can find out the gear ratio?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I don't know the gear ratio, and a take of gas last me about 3-4 days. 40 miles round trip to work. Course being in traffic doesn't help, I know. Do you know where I can find out the gear ratio?

the door sticker will have a code and you can post it and someone can tell you. and there are several ways of doing it manually with the rear end up in the air but to complicated.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
ok, I'll post that up later tonight after I get home.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok, Question. What would be some good all around tires for road travel, and off road. Right now I am running Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. I'm happy with those for around Hawaii, but I know once I get to NC, I may need something more agressive to get to some good fishing holes.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
With that truck, I would stay away from any type of AT like the plague, I had them on Thunder for a little while and with a truck that heavy and stock 460, they wouldn't clear at all. So I'd say you wouldn't need anything any more aggressive than a MT...and you should get about the same mileage out of them, a little more road noise...but no biggie.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Like I said, The A/T's are working good for me here. Doesn't hurt my steering at all, and if there is any road noise, I don't notice. Course I might notice if I turn down the radio. What are you running on yours?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thunder is running 37x12.5x16.5 SSR's...probably more aggressive than what you're looking for and a little less than double the price for a BFG MT.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok, which one is Thunder? I'm gonna guess the Black one?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ok, which one is Thunder? I'm gonna guess the Black one?

Yep...you got it...from left to right in my sig Red, Thunder, Bronk. But back to your original question, MT's should be just fine for muddy back roads. But if you think you'll be taking her through any mud pits or anything, or just want that extra cool factor, you might wanna look into the SSR, Trxus MT or radial TSL...all of them will get you 40,000+ miles.

Another easy trick, if you want to run bigger tires, use a couple spacers and bump out that front bumper...that's all I did to Thunder to go from running 33's to 37's.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Sounds Good Man, I will have to keep that in mind, and once I get to NC, go back through this thread, and write everything down.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok, looking at a oil change and brake job before I put my truck on the boat back to the mainland. This winter in NC will be the coldest this truck has been in years. What do you guys recommend. Rotella 10W30 or 10W40. Also, How easy/hard would it be to put in new headlights. I"m looking at driving from San Diego CA to Jacksville, NC.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts