Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

aussie locker

91xltlariat

Pennsylvania Chapter Member
hello, i've been debating on getting one for my truck. it has a 8.8 rear now. does anybody use these lockers? how these would work on a daily driver? i don't know if i should buy this locker our just find an ls rear end. any help appreciated. thanks

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Depends on how you'll be using the truck. A full locker is always better than an LS unit, but you'll pay the price for it.

Gonna be wheeling the truck quite a bit?

91xltlariat

not to much, mainly on old logging roads, where i go to cut fire wood. it's kind of hilly, just trying to get more traction.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Unless you can find a really good deal on a used LS and repack the clutches for cheap, you're probably better of with an elocker.

91xltlariat

summit racing shows this locker for $625.00 and change, may have to look into one. thanks for the information

Last edited:

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
isn't the aussie locker a lunchbox locker? If it is then you shouldn't have to set the gears back up (or pay someone to do it). The air lockers and elockers are more convenient (being about to be locked only when you need it) but you have to set up the gears and so forth.

edit: been looking at lockers too, I'm kinda in the same boat as you, Cept i have a 2wd, and need more traction when I go hunting or fishing.

Newbie question:

Whats the difference between LS and a locker?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ford's LS locks the tires together when it senses differences in rotational speed through use of clutch packs. The clutch packs can wear and the LS will stop working after a certain period of time.

E-Lockers make use of electromagnets to physically lock the axle shafts together-- must more reliable in the long run. An air locker is the creme of the crop-- uses onboard air to pressurize a line going to the diff to lock it. Generally air lockers are only used by heavy off-roaders.

Newbie question:

Whats the difference between LS and a locker?

To add to what Chris said, LS performs as an open differential unless traction is needed at both wheels to avoid a one wheel spinout. A locker keeps 100% of the torque at both of the wheels at all times unless one wheel starts to spin slower than the other (ie. when the vehicle makes a turn). At that point, one wheel unlocks. As soon as the both wheels start to travel at the same speed the wheels lock up again. When the wheels are locked there is NO CHANCE for slippage. With a LS, there will always be some slippage.

Lockers (ie. the Detroit Locker) have no soft parts to wear out and require no additives in the oil. The LS has soft parts that wear and requires an additive.

An e-locker is an open differential unless you electrically lock it via a switch at the dash. They lack the durability and performance of the Detroit Locker though. H2 hummers use the e-locker.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts