Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin, you'd be proud of me!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So this is my MIL's Explorer, which she just bought this about a year ago and her darn step rails stuck out like a sore thumb BECAUSE the rest of the vehicle, body and all, are in super shape and looks real nice.....so it just bothered me and I decided to clean them up:

Not just an accountant!

Sanded: 30 minutes (longest part, used drill and wire brush attachment)
Rust converted: 5 minutes
Rust encapsulated: 5 minutes
Gloss paint: 5 minutes
Total Material cost $30

2012-08-09_15-24-56_594copy.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That looks great. I wish they'd put more effort into ultra-sealing step bars.

Ryan

I'm not sure why they don't because it's so low to the ground and gets hammered with the salt...without having a grinder to grind the metal, these things if you look up close look like the grand canyon, they're so pitted up. But just a little bit of work and bam, makes a huge difference visually! smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
rusted running boards really take away from an otherwise nice vehicle, great job bringing them back better than new! and only $30 dollars spent,

Roy, thanks.....you're right....made a world of difference with such a small issue being resolved.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
m78 said:
Looks good Ken. What did you use to encapsulate the rust ?

I used Eastwood's liquid rust converter then their rust encapsulator in aerosol.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Awesome work Ken! It's the little things like this that really make the vehicle.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Austin said:
Awesome work Ken! It's the little things like this that really make the vehicle.

Thanks! :)

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I have the material to do our Expeditions steps, but just have not had the time. I am going to take them off, and grind the mounts and everything down to bare metal, prime them and then Herculine them.

Seeing how great they look makes me want to take the time and get them done.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I have the material to do our Expeditions steps, but just have not had the time. I am going to take them off, and grind the mounts and everything down to bare metal, prime them and then Herculine them.

Seeing how great they look makes me want to take the time and get them done.

Hope you can post some before and after pics. I didn't have the tools nor the time to grind them down but even if I did, these things were so pitted, I wonder how much of the metal would have gone (gone all the way through?) before making it smooth.

My goal was to make it look 10x's better (not perfect) with little money and little effort and I think I accomplished that goal and had a little satisfactory fun in the process!

Ford Truck Articles