Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Body Lean

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'll even give you a place to sleep Dan...my door is always open to fellow FTF'ers

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
When I get a good job and money enough Im plannin a cross country trip in one of the trucks(probly the 85). Thanks for the offer Ben. This will probly be a few years down the road too.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
When I get a good job and money enough Im plannin a cross country trip in one of the trucks(probly the 85). Thanks for the offer Ben. This will probly be a few years down the road too.

Stop buying soda's,chips.pizza,hamburgers it adds up quick

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah it does I live with my dad now so he pays for the fuel and food and parts. He dont have time to fix the trucks so I do it and he said that as long as Im keepin busy he could care less if I have a job right now.

Same boat

I've got the same thing going on with my old girl. This is how to get all the answers. 1. Get a 4ft level, a floor jack and a tape measure. 2. Park on level,flat concrete. 3. Pick a point on your frame rails as far rearward as possible and measure both left and right from bottom of rail to ground and write down the readings. 4. Same proceedure in front. Now it get interesting. Using the jack, lift the FRAME at the lowest corner. check with the level,then go to the other end and see if it's level. If so,you've got one weak spring. If that side is still low,both springs on that side are weak. In my '70 the drivetrain is offset to the passenger side so I allow 1/2 for that. On mine, this routine showed me that I had a weak right front coil. Once you have your frame level left to right, check frame to body measurements at the mounts to see if the cab,core support and bed sits true on the level frame. This whole process took me 45 minutes and answered all my questions on mine. Good hunting and let us know what you find.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Great info man...exactly the kinda answer I was looking for...quick, easy and to the point. Thanks

No problem,

I've been around this stuff my entire life! My father is a retired automotive mechanic who owned his own shop. When business would slow down over the holidays,he'd pick up a "project" to build and sell. I've helped with collision repair on a lot of stuff. Step One is to determine exactly what all is bent,how bad,and in what direction. I helped with a late model Honda that looked like someone tried to drive under a semi trailer. It took the hit midway up the windsheild pillars,pealed the roof back and wadded it all up against the rear quarters. I thought he'd lost his mind when that came in on the rollback! When the car was done we went down to the dealership and compared panel clearances with a new one. THE OLD MAN KNOWS HIS SH*T! I picked up enough to make a decent living as a heavy equipment mechanic/welder. I give thanks every time I save $$$ by doing my own work and not settling for a so-so job somewhere else.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
My 79 does the same thing. Sometimes I'll be walking out of a store and look for the lean and it's there and sometimes it's gone.

One would think that with the aux gas tank and a driver in the seat all of the time that the truck would lean to the drivers side, not the passenger side. Must be the battery......ok maybe not.

If I'd ever find some free time I always wanted to swap the front springs from side to side and measure the before and after.

My 79 does the same thing. Sometimes I'll be walking out of a
store and look for the lean and it's there and sometimes it's gone.
If I'd ever find some free time I always wanted to swap the front
springs from side to side and measure the before and after.

Oil your leaf springs! :)

They are "supposed" to be oily, not dry and rusty and "sticky".
Believe it? :)

If we are talking coil springs, then might be the tires are turned?

Alvin in AZ
ps- can we get back to the "lean body" talk please? ;)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
My springs don't bind, about 3 years ago I pulled them both apart, drilled a hole on the end of each leaf and re-assemble each pack with plastic discs at the end of every leaf.

Ford Truck Articles