Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bronco Tank in a 1998 F150

So, right now I have a fuel cell that came in the truck when I purchased it. I realized that it was not smog legal when I bought the truck and I knew I was going to have to do something about it to get it smoged in the next year. I DONT want to have some sketch ball smog it with a fuel cell and I DONT want to keep the fuel cell and try and make it legal, because you ultimately cant. I want to run a bronco tank, but im not sure what all I need to completely do the entire thing. I will be posting pictures and everything of what I have right now and when I get all the parts I will be posting pictures on how I did it. I just need help figuring out how to make this work.

Here is my setup as of right now and I plan on putting the Bronco tank in the same spot.

fuel5_zpsef4ead3f.jpg

fuel6_zpsbfc58ec5.jpg

fuel4_zps9b00234c.jpg

Here is a line and a connector that I dont know what they go too. If you could help me with that, that would be awesome :]

fuel2_zpsd554531f.jpg

fuel3_zps6ff952df.jpg

I am planning on getting this tank.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Ford/Bronco/Dorman/Fuel_Tank/1996/RB576155.html

The questions I have:
Is that the right tank to use?
If that is the right tank, will a stock 1998 f150 fuel pump assembly work?
Is there any Bronco tank that a f150 fuel pump will work on?
What are the senors I need on the tank? As you can see from the pictures I am not running anything fuel wise for smog.

I am sure I am missing alot of stuff but I have a shitload of questions to ask. I am just trying to get the ball rolling right now with getting the right tank and fuel pump.

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Hold the phone!

You can't just give me little glimpses of high speed off road goodness like that without giving me a rundown and pictures of the whole truck. :D

I don't know about the tank, but I do know I need to see the whole thing. ;)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Agreed

I really wouldn't want a stock tank back there.
To make it emissions worthy, change the cap, and put a vacum system into a charcoal can.
I would bet that line in the frame runs right up to where the charcoal can was there at the battery. Search it out

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
ahhh... thats better. :)

Specs?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Actually he can't use anything lower than a 90.

85-89 had a low pressure lift pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump in the rail.

90 changed to fuel delivery module, 1 high pressure pump in the tank.This pump however used the same electrical connection as the previous low pressure pumps

To get plug and play wiring, he would need a 85-96 tank,and a 93-96 high pressure in tank FDM, with a wire harness attached to the pump

Last edited:
Actually he can't use anything lower than a 90.

85-89 had a low pressure lift pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump in the rail.

90 changed to fuel delivery module, 1 high pressure pump in the tank.This pump however used the same electrical connection as the previous low pressure pumps

To get plug and play wiring, he would need a 85-96 tank,and a 93-96 high pressure in tank FDM, with a wire harness attached to the pump

Hey man, seems like you know something about this whole bronco tank in my truck ordeal haha. I am super lost on the whole thing. I have a couple questions im hoping you could answer for me.

"To get plug and play wiring, he would need a 85-96 tank,and a 93-96 high pressure in tank FDM, with a wire harness attached to the pump"

If i was to buy this tank:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=17252&cc=1106110

This fuel pump:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4026660&cc=1106110

Would these be a good choice? Also, Where could I find a plug and play wiring harness for this too work? If you could send me a link to a new one if they have em that would be rad!

Also, There is no charcoal canister on my truck. Would i buy a 96 bronco one or would i get a 98 f150 one for my truck?

Thanks!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Just a little...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts