Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Burping coolant system

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
I hear this loud noise coming from the motor area while driving, and the only thing i think it sounds like is a air pockets in the coolant, or maybe my AC but either way, after i got my top end rebuild, I realized the guy didnt hook my radiator back up to my overfill tank, so it only recirculates. Wouldnt this cause a problem?? Or can it work still?

blacksnapon

Staff member
What kind of noise? I've seen gurgling happen from the rush of coolant in the heater hoses (one reason for restrictors in the hoses, or looping the hose around the receiver/dryer.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
This noise happened right after all that work so I am assuming its heatcore hoses because i also hear a wattery noise when it first starts up in the morning

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
Better hope you don't have air pockets in the coolant. Air pockets = pitted engine block.

never heard of such.

you really dont need to worry about the overflow on these trucks because the radiator is the highest point in the cooling system so the air will bleed out if the cap is off and the engine is ran at operating temp. you should be able to get a restrictor to put inline in the heater hose from a parts house and if you cant, get a heater water shut off valve and close it off partially untill the noise goes away. by any chance do you have a high flow water pump?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
never heard of such.

you really dont need to worry about the overflow on these trucks because the radiator is the highest point in the cooling system so the air will bleed out if the cap is off and the engine is ran at operating temp. you should be able to get a restrictor to put inline in the heater hose from a parts house and if you cant, get a heater water shut off valve and close it off partially untill the noise goes away. by any chance do you have a high flow water pump?

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
I am pretty sure it is a stock replacement pump they installed, but it could be

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
well if it is a high flow pump, you will have the rushing noise due to the flow. get some restrictors if available, if not do the valve because it will do the same thing.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
Well, i mean, if it is in fact just the sound of the hi flow pump, I would get over the noise to know i was getting a better cooling circulation, or am I wrong?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts