Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

camshaft position sensor

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
how many people have had the problem of it going bad and replacing it??? is it a had job??? i have a rough idle and a problem of it my 00 7.3L dying if it isnt warmed up all the way. and it will sputter if you have your foot in and let off real quick. does that sound liek the answer to change this part?

thanks for any help

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
a cam sensor may be the issue but it sounds like you have other things going on as well. if it runs really bad when the truck is cold, could be a oil concern to injectors.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
alright i changed my camshaft position sensor. no it sounds like i have a huge cam in it. anymore ideas?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
hpop or injectors would be my guess.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
hpop? what is that?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
High pressure oil pump used to fire the injectors.

If the CPS is damaged, it just plain usually doesn't work. period. You may want to check the oil level in the HPOP. There's a small hex plug in the top; remove it and top it off to within 1/2".
If this doesn't do it, make sure your Exhaust Back Pressure valve is working correctly, and not frozen either closed or open.
There are other possibilities, but knock those out of the way first.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've had some 7.3s that had the icp sensor (close to the front, driver side head) defective. Mostly was a surging issue. Data stream showed wild fluctuations in icp pressure.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
where is the hpop located at on the motor? is the exhaust back pressure valve by the wastegate?

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
all i needed to do is change the oil. after spend all that money. oh well live and learn right?

The ONLY reason I didn't mention THAT as a possibility is I thought we were beyond oil problems, altho I don't know why, as you didn't say so. my bad.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
it is cool i found out the hard way the way i usually do it. but thanks for all the help you guys gave me i am sure i will have more questions

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts