Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB mounting

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Pretty sure I've got an old thread on this same topic around here somewhere, but it's a different truck so this is a different thread.

Looking like there's a distinct possibility of my and the '09 Ranger takin' a highway cruise later this month, and I'm thinking seriously about rigging up my CB in this truck.

Time constraints mean there's a better than fair chance I'll just run the W1000 mag-mount antenna I've already got, and maybe even just power it off the cigarette lighter for this trip rather than take the time to wire it up right or cob together anything halfway.

But I've still got to find someplace to put the radio- and I'd rather not just lay it on the passenger's seat. Standard-shift Ranger with bucket seats, and a Uniden 68 radio (same size as a Cobra 25 I think).

Here's the cab of the pickup:

And here's the radio on the roof of the '97:

I don't think there are any good options, but figured I'd ask the question...

Already considered/rejected:
-radio will not physically fit in front of the gearshift or between the gearshift and console without interfering with gearchanges
-I absolutely will not cut the headliner- loved the look and convenience of the overhead mount in the '97, but I can't bring myself to do it again
-I need to be able to slide the seats all the way up and tilt them forward (it's a two-door cab)
-under the passenger side dash either interferes with the glovebox or cuts too much into passenger footroom

In short, I want it someplace that's easy to reach, looks good, and can be removed without any visible signs- holes, etc.

Pretty sure in the long-run I should be shopping for a smaller radio (or break down and hang it from the ceiling again), and in the short term I should stick it under my seat...but maybe somebody has a better idea.

Last edited:
Get some sticky velcro strips and put it on top of the dash?

Take the 97 instead? (better mpg's)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'll have to look into sticking it in the console- I also considered trying to mount it vertically on the back of the console, but that might require some impossible contortions to reach while driving.

My '97 Ranger is not in any condition for a run like I'm looking at- 'sides, if I wanted to save gas, I'd take the bike. Which is a definite possibility, but it'd add a couple days. I can make a 1200 mile run in a pickup with just a nap in a parking lot somewheres...not really interested in trying that on a bike.

Velcro on the dash? No thanks- don't wanna wreck the plastic, and baking in the direct sun like that doesn't do the radio any favors over time.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Mount it in the console cubby between the seats.
You could close the lid and it would be hidden also.

Not even close to fitting in there. That cubby seems huge compared to the one in the '97 (split-bench with a flip-down armrest), but it really ain't all that big. Nor is it that easy to use- I hardly ever open the thing. The radio, on the other hand...is always bigger than I remember it being. Sure glad I didn't buy the PC78 I was drooling over- it's bigger still.

This is where I'd originally wanted to mount the radio in this truck- clearly, it's not gonna work. At least not if I want to be able to engage second, fourth, and reverse gears. (I'm in neutral here...)

This is where I'll probably end up mounting it- cuts into passenger footroom a little, and I'll have to be careful to rout the wires so nobody catches one with a toe, but I think I can get it so it's clear of the glovebox, seat cushion, and cupholder while still leaving some room for boots.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, it's enormous compared to a lot of what's out there today.

But it works well, includes a NOAA Wx receiver (which I really like) and I think it looks good.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You need a smaller radio for your smaller truck.

How are you going to mount that thing cock-eyed like that?

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Piece of sturdy metal, a hammer, and something to serve as an anvil. Drill some holes in each end, and beat the middle until it looks like I want it to.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's not wired up yet, but I got it mounted.

Once I got started on the bracket I realized it was gonna be a lot of work for a result I wasn't really going to be thrilled with, so this is a medium-term temporary mounting I threw together this evening. Couple hours work, few dollars in materials; I figure I'll leave it there 'til it bugs me enough to figure out a better way.

EDIT: These pics might've been before I snugged it all down. I'll get better ones in the light tomorrow.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Better lighting during the daytime...

I think the antenna actually looks pretty good. Which is too bad because I hate living with a 39" whip on top of my truck.

Front seat passenger yesterday said it wasn't bad for short trips, but it would be a nuisance on a longer trip as there wasn't room to stretch out...

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep- but I hadn't had it on there a full 24 hours before I pinged it off a tree branch on a back road.

Not like that's a big problem, but it kinda bugs me. Plus, I've gotten spoiled parking in the garage at work when it snows...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Bumpity bump.

I actually really like that mount you've rigged up there. I'd be happy with that, although I have plenty of large friends that wouldn't.

I've thought about mounting my Cobra 25 under the Driver's seat when I do the console swap, but I don't think there is enough room for it under there either.

I may just end up doing something similar to your setup and tell my passengers to deal with it or drive their own trucks. smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts