Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

coolant filtration and coolant question

Hello, I have a 2005 ford f250 with the 6.0l with 37700 miles. I have been reading a lot on the problems with these trucks including the egr,head gaskets etc. I just bought the dieselsite coolant filtration system. I flushed my coolant about 1500 miles ago with ford coolant. I have been reading about the issues with the ford coolant having silicates and turning to gel after a while around the egr and oil cooler among other issues with it. I am thinking about changing the coolant to an ELC coolant with no silicates but i have a few questions. I am hoping you guys can enlighten me.

1) Why would ford continue using the ford gold coolant if it supposedly causes issues with these motors? Wouldn't they do a recall flushing the coolant out and using something else? Did they and I am not aware?
2) If it is causing harm to the egr, water pump,oil cooler,etc.. why is it not causing any issues anywhere else?
3) What ELC coolant are you guys using and where locally did you find it? I believe i read that it needs to be EC1. I believe international uses fleetrite.

Thank you in advance for any help.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The gold coolant is not the problem. The coolant is good roughly to 100k miles. Use tap water and it decreases to 30k. Its more of the minerals in the water that causes problems. Ford does manufacture a coolant additive to bolster the silicate prevention. My opinion, youve made the extra step by installing a coolant filter. IH trucks have a coolant filter (they dont have egr coolant issues), Fords trucks dont have a coolant filter (they do have issues). The silicates form, in the coolant and they plug up the tiny coolant passages in the oil cooler. Because the egr cooler gets its coolant flow from the oil cooler, diminished flow damages the egr cooler. The wise thing to do, is to get the most recent reflash from Ford that will set a DTC when oil temp gets higher than coolant temps by 15*. After that, egr cooler deletion is unnecessary.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My opinion on the head gasket issues, FUEL QUALITY! All of the issues that the 6.0 has can be linked to fuel whether burned or unburned. EGR valve, turbo, injectors, all touch fuel in one form or another. Less volatile fuel develops carbon and oily deposits faster than higher quality fuel. Vanes stick in the turbo, possible overboosting and lifting the heads.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Can you explain "overboosting"?
This 25lbs boost at speed carrying a 4500 pound payload up a grade is not uncommon for my travels. Is this damaging the engine?
Engine now has 75K+ on it.
boost.jpg

25 psi isn't out of the safe range. When you start getting into the very high 20s and 30s, then you have a problem. It is a hair over spec (19-23).

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
25 psi isn't out of the safe range. When you start getting into the very high 20s and 30s, then you have a problem. It is a hair over spec (19-23).

Spec is 19-23? Spec for what, boost?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The gold coolant is not the problem. The coolant is good roughly to 100k miles. Use tap water and it decreases to 30k. Its more of the minerals in the water that causes problems. Ford does manufacture a coolant additive to bolster the silicate prevention. My opinion, youve made the extra step by installing a coolant filter. IH trucks have a coolant filter (they dont have egr coolant issues), Fords trucks dont have a coolant filter (they do have issues). The silicates form, in the coolant and they plug up the tiny coolant passages in the oil cooler. Because the egr cooler gets its coolant flow from the oil cooler, diminished flow damages the egr cooler. The wise thing to do, is to get the most recent reflash from Ford that will set a DTC when oil temp gets higher than coolant temps by 15*. After that, egr cooler deletion is unnecessary.

I'm not familiar with diesel engines, but I do know that combinations of silicates and high levels of magnesium in some tap water (hard water)
forms magnesium silicate, which is a VERY tenacious scale or deposit that is hard to remove.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

I am not familiar with diesel engines, but I do know that the combination of high levels of silicates with high levels of magnesium(hard water) forms a VERY tenacious scale or deposit that is hard to remove.

How long does the temp have to run more than 15* to set a DTC? My truck runs on average 11 to 12 degrees different but I have seen it jump to 17* for a split second a couple of times. This is unloaded at 70 mph.

Thanks for your help. I just pulled a 10,000 travel trailer [loaded] to Florida, 500 miles. My EOT briefly went to 225* and the the FWT went to 204. This was only one time on a hill. My normal spread is 7 to 16 degrees with an EOT of around 210*. My ATF temp spiked at 186 in stop and go traffic with it usually staying around 165*. Is the 21* difference for a very short period for the EOT and FWT something to be concerned about. I have been worried about the EOC for some time. I have flushed my Ford coolant at 30,000 miles and again at 56,000 miles and used the VC9 the second time. After using the VC9 it took 48 gallons of distilled water for the coolant to run "clear" again. I just want to make sure my truck lasts a long time. I retired at 50 [from Ford Motor Company] and can't afford a new one or $10,000 repairs. Thanks for your help Blacksnapon.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts