Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cooling fan rebuild.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
After playing with the wiring on my electric fans, I've determined it's time for a rewire. The PO couldn't leave well enough alone and jerry-rigged the wiring to bypass the Perma-Cool stuff and go straight to a fuse.

The plan is to rewire everything to how it would have come out of the box, including the AC switch and unit thermostat probe.

Here's what I've managed to throw together as to how I believe the wiring should be, I'd really like a few second opinions just to make sure everything is good to go!

(The circle on the left is the secondary AC fan, the unit on the right is the main cooling fan)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Bueller???

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That temp switch...it's on the dash?...I haven't played with fan setups on cars.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That temp switch...it's on the dash?...I haven't played with fan setups on cars.

I should have clarified. It's the auto switch for the thermostat probe, sits on the unit.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ok..so that just simply automatically turns the fan on the right on/off?...and the A/C switch just brings on the other one?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Correct and correct. The A/C switch gets power from the condenser when the A/C is on.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So the brown wire is just turning on the relay coil?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm assuming that the brown wire signals to power the main fan when the secondary fan is on.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It would be nice to know the actual diagram of the switch...as I said, I'm not familiar at all with the way they wire these things.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
The support is slim for these. I can't get much more than installation and 'troubleshooting' guides from the manufacturer. Ryan actually has this fan set on his truck, but I'm sure he wouldn't be willing to tear it down enough to get to the point I'm at.

In the meantime I've hardwired it in to run full-time, but I would like to get this properly done.

You'd have a blast with this one. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hmmm...that looks a little, err..."cheezy".
Your diagram looks right from what you have told me and from what I can guess...but I don't want to say 100% without knowing the full operation and diagram...sorry I can't be more help.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'll take an educated guess at this point, so I'll go on that! :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts