Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cooling the big block down

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
I dont know how these motors run so hot, but I cant even keep my head under the hood on a hot day without breaking a major sweat, I dont know how these things operate under such hot temps. The motor is running in tip top condition too, so its not like its not taken care of, but what have some of you guys done to let some extra air out of the engine compartment? I was thinking about installing some air vents in the fenders to help relieve some heat, but i dont think that will help because when I had these fenders out for a few days completely while redoing the header gaskets, the motor was still blowing very hot air out of the fenders, so this motor just runs hot as could be. Anything else I do??

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The problem isn't the engine itself running hot, just the engine compartment?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Your engine compartment is always gonna be pretty hot. This is why people like to install cold air intakes so they aren't sucking underhood air into the engine.

seems like air vents might help while driving, but one you stop and put your head under there, you lose all the airflow.

...not saying it wouldn't look cool, just that it might not help

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
The problem isn't the engine itself running hot, just the engine compartment?

Right, I mean the engine seems to produce an incredible amount of heat, after all it is a massive engine, so much so that even my friends notice it because they can feel the heat blowing from under the truck onto their feet ect, but I mean its not like it aint getting good flow. Its got a cold air intake, headers, true dual, new coolant and waterpump, but it seems to be just the nature of the engine in general, nothing to be concerned about but i cant imagine that all that heat that my cold air intake isnt going to be exactly taking in "cold air", it seems like it would only be sucking in all the warm air inside the engine compartment...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
i cant imagine that all that heat that my cold air intake isnt going to be exactly taking in "cold air", it seems like it would only be sucking in all the warm air inside the engine compartment...

I'm confused...the point of a cold-air intake is to get air from outside the engine compartment, where it's not heated by the engine.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
Yeah I know, its very weird. They cold air intake for these trucks were extremely poorly designed. All it is, is an open air filter just sitting in the midst of all the engine heat, taking in alot of hot air....I almost think the stock set up with some modifications would do this thing better, I am thinking of just doing that, and putting a drop in K&N filter into the stock air box, because this intake may make a cool noise when throttling but I know its not doing anything with all that hot air around it...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty darn sure if you've got an exposed filter element under your hood, it's not a cold air intake.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
hmm, no...i agree with you, but i dont understand why then i paid $300 for a hot air intake, but they dont make a cold air intake for the 7.5, othawise i wooda gotten it

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
It's a fairly common misconception. I think the stock setup does alot better, in fact.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Right, I mean the engine seems to produce an incredible amount of heat, after all it is a massive engine, so much so that even my friends notice it because they can feel the heat blowing from under the truck onto their feet ect, but I mean its not like it aint getting good flow. Its got a cold air intake, headers, true dual, new coolant and waterpump, but it seems to be just the nature of the engine in general, nothing to be concerned about but i cant imagine that all that heat that my cold air intake isnt going to be exactly taking in "cold air", it seems like it would only be sucking in all the warm air inside the engine compartment...

i think its normal.. mine is the same.. i open the hood after a good drive i breake a major sweat also.. i think its normal.. aslong as your engine itself is at operating temp 180-195 *

your floor is heating up more becuase of the headers..
somethimes when the engine compartment is really really hot after i was driving hard and such at night with all that friss air i can feel the heat coming from the engine compartment somethimes its so hot i start sweating...
hope this helps ;)

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
Yeah, I want to reconvert to stock, and utilize the stock air box and customized that to take air from a vent in the fender, I think that will be a pretty mean set up..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yeah, I want to reconvert to stock, and utilize the stock air box and customized that to take air from a vent in the fender, I think that will be a pretty mean set up..

the best setup was your old one.. the 300/460 duct..

it takes cold air right from the grill

I dont know how these motors run so hot, but I cant even keep my head under the hood on a hot day without breaking a major sweat, I dont know how these things operate under such hot temps. The motor is running in tip top condition too, so its not like its not taken care of, but what have some of you guys done to let some extra air out of the engine compartment? I was thinking about installing some air vents in the fenders to help relieve some heat, but i dont think that will help because when I had these fenders out for a few days completely while redoing the header gaskets, the motor was still blowing very hot air out of the fenders, so this motor just runs hot as could be. Anything else I do??

Your headers make more heat than manifolds due to the increase in surface area.

What you could do is remove the hood. That would definetly solve the problem.

Or, install a push fan on one fender and a pull fan on the other.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey Mike -- there is a very common misconception that those K&N kits are called "cold air" intakes when in fact they're not pulling cold air at all. I had one on my truck when I bought it and came to this realization. Later I got a stock airbox from a friend and installed in with a paper Motorcraft filter and HOLY CRAP what a difference in performance.

The K&N filter is going to flow more air but it's going to be hot air. The catch 22 is that if your engine is not HIGHLY modified, the more cfm that the K&N is capable off will offer no gain -- your motor is always going to try and pull the same amount of air no matter which filter you use. Now -- your engine is pretty modified so you MIGHT need the increased airflow. If that's the case, you can still use the stock box and use a drop in K&N filter or an AEM DryFlow drop in filter, these will give you increased flow capacity while still pulling cold air.

Another thing you can do is wrap your intake ducts in thermal tape, this keeps the air as cold as possible as it makes it's trip from outside to your throttle body.

I have an old thread floating around about when I swapped from the K&N to the stock airbox with a 460 intake duct and saw a HUGE improvement in performance. I'll try to dig it up YelloThumbUp

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Can't freakin find the thread... Anybody know the name of the thread where I swapped intakes and found a huge increase in power? Perhaps I didn't make a thread about it, I dunno...

Michigan
Ok... Here i go. I have the 460 air tube. I bought a new paper filter. Well water got to my paper filter and turned it into mush and i just bought the K&N. I noticed more low end power and better MPG.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
great advice guys I am going to have to change something, because I know it cant be good for performance if my motor is only getting the hot air that its producing for its combustion, thanks!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts