Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cylinder head bolts

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Heat will not work to loosen them you can not get the heat to the threaded parts. Make sure to use a good quality 6 point socket so not to round them off. If they round you have a whole new learnng experiance ahead.

I always had customers ask me at the hardware store if we sold 6 point sockets, and just wanted to say Randy is right on this one. I found that the Kobalt line offers 6 point sockets so you don't have to run willy-nilly all over creation to find them.

Ryan

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
That sucks dude. I learnt that lesson cheap tools suck and always break warp or mushroom out. That's why I got all snapon stuff now haven't had a problem yet and I use them all the time

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
That sucks dude. I learnt that lesson cheap tools suck and always break warp or mushroom out. That's why I got all snapon stuff now haven't had a problem yet and I use them all the time

i would love to have Snapon stuff. but see im only 19 and kinda dont have that kind of money. work a chity job making 8.50 an hour in a warehouse 40 hours a week. im lucky that Ann makes more now to be able to pay for this....

WINNER!!!!

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Ahh .... Well we all start somewhere. Adventually you'll acquire a good tool collection slowly but surely. Haha nice job for bein a winner in this situation

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Yea I'd definately check out auction yard sales even craigslist, people need a quick buck and sell sets of em cheap along with boxes

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I dont remember off hand what the tq specs are on head bolts, i wanna say they are at or near 100 ft/lb's of tq....

so your 8" ratchet would what 150lb's of force on the very end?

Its not that they are really that stubborn, it's just that you are using the wrong tool. You need a proper sized ratchet or breaker bar for bolts of that size.

Have someone stabilize the engine while you crack them loose.

"put it on your knee! :)" -Alvin
...well that works great for jar lids at least.

x2 on the auctions, swap meets, 2nd hand stores etc,
just keep your eyes peeled and cash in your pocket. ;)
The US and Canada are awash in good older tools! :)

Butthead in AZ

Ford Truck Articles