Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

dad got a "new" (to him) superduty

racsan

4xford
dont know alot about these, but dad took deliverly last week of a (i bieleive) 2005 F250 superduty. reg cab, 4x4. axle code 37. from what ive been reading online its a 3-valve per cylinder 5.4 (300 hp) 5 speed automatic. has the tow/haul switch. i havent done much more than drive it empty down the road, but it seems all the tow/haul does is eliminate the o/d, id assume it raises the rpm at which the shifts occur. has the auto/manual hubs, 17" steel wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes. had a boss plow on it prevoisly. dad has a western pro-plow on the '94 hes going to try and keep (and adapt) to the s/d. too bad the wheels wont swap between trucks, the '94 has nearly brand new tires, but besides the metric bolt-pattern/ hub-centric design setup of the superduty, i can see theres not much clearance between the calipers and rims, no way would a 16" rim clear the calipers even if the bolt pattern matched. its silver, has the xl trim, worst thing ive heard about these is the 5.4 has a issue with the ends of the spark plugs protruding into the combustion chamber, and the plug can break off when changing. this truck has about 50,000 miles on it. havent got a picture of it yet. i belive the 37 axle code means "3.73-open" not sure of tire size, it definly has more kick than the 94 its replaceing, the '94 is a 351, E4OD,3.55's, 4x4. my favorite was the '77 it had the 400, 4.10's, C6 ,full-time 4wd. this seems to be closer to the '77 as a workhorse than the '94 was. going to try and search to see what mpg this thing might get. id guess 15 at best. theres alot of varibles and after all, its a truck with the areodynamics of a brick. id prefer a 7.3 diesel in it yself, but dad had a new '86 with the 6.9 that was such a problem child he's never considered diesel again. it seems fairly tall for a stock truck, no need for ramps to change oil. not sure what he paid for it, its surprising he found a 3/4 ton with that low miles that hasnt been beat to death, granted its seen plow service, you can tell the box has been used, then sprayed with spray bedliner. id almost bet it was a lease to a landscaping company. only thing i dont like is no cruise control. id assume all the wiring is there, would a "cruse-control" steering wheel and servo motor with throttle cable be all thats needed to get cruise? could easily snag that from a junkyard. i thought it was a 4 speed auto until i shifted the trans manually from "3" to "D" and it shifted twice, unless the converter lockup makes it seem like a extra shift, but from what ive read there is a 5 speed auto.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Sounds like you found a decent truck.

The spark plug breaking off is a concern, but those are 100,000 mile spark plugs. The truck is a lot different than the old motors. You don't fix it unless it's broken. You don't swap out coils till they fail, you don't change plugs till it runs bad.

I get 17mpg in my '05 F150 w/ the same motor. Mine is a 4x4 setup with 3.73 gears and the taller stock wheels/tires. I bet you could get 16mpg out of that thing. I've been underwhelmed with the power of the engine (because I like to go fast). But in its defense, when I hooked up a heavy trailer full of furniture when helping a friend move, it towed amazing. The torque curve on the engine is great.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts