Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dash problems...PLEASE HELP!!

weilertool

Ford owner...nuff said
Just the other day, I started my truck to go to work, and when I turned my headlights on, I could hear a relay chatter under the dash, and no dash lights came on. I attempted to turn on the defrosters, and they didn't work either. I noticed that if my lights are turned off, my turn signals work but when I turn my lights on, the turn signals no longer work. So basically, if it's sunny and warm...I'm good to go...but if it's dark and cold, I'm out of luck.
:headbang:
Upon searching for the problem, I located the chattering relay behind where you connect the diagnostic machine under the dash. There is a blue one and a black one, the blue one is the chattering one. Can someone help me with this problem...I called the dealership, and they said (I don't know what the relay is called, you will have to bring it in) As with everyone, the economy has me beat down, and a bill from the dealer would sink me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I checked the system voltage while the truck was running and got 14.76VDC, also all cables and fuses are tight.

I'm guessing there is some corrosion on some electrical parts for the headlight system

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you're hearing a clicking relay then you might just have a bad relay. If you have isolated which relay it is, remove it, take a photo of the pins, and post it here so I can help you test the relay.

blacksnapon

Staff member
check ground 200 (g200) its behind the right kick panel. That ground controls instrument illumination and blower motor.

weilertool

Ford owner...nuff said
Does anyone have an electrical schematic they can email me. I am a maintenance manager for a living, and electrician by trade...so if I had a print to go off of...it would help alot!! I will check the ground tonight also!! thanks for the input!!

Last edited:
If you don't find what you need, let me know I have the Ford Books from 97-2002

weilertool

Ford owner...nuff said
blacksnapon hit the nail on the head!!!! About 8 months ago I had my heater core replaced...apparently when they reinstalled everything, they only made the grounding screws finger tight....because they were backed out about a 1/4"!!! I tightened the screws, and problem was fixed!!! you guys are AWESOME!!!! Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts