Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

disc brake dust shields-between rim & rotor

racsan

4xford
im thinking of getting a set for the blazr, but for the opposite reason one would normally buy them, the blazer has some aftermarket spoke wheels, very large openings between spokes (7 spoke wheel) and im wondering about road salt during the winter causing premature rotor problems. (corroision, pitting, stuff like that) ive got a set of stock blazer rims but just cant afford the 500 bucks for a new set of tires before winter. this vehicle has had these rims on it before and the rotors were absolutly trashed to the point of eating up a set of brake pads every 3,000 miles and having poor brake performance. put new rotors on this spring and have so far put 8,000 miles on with over 1/2 the pad life remaining, and the brakes work much better. granted i dont know how old the other rotors were or if being exposed to the winter salt through the large wheels spokes could have been a factor in "rotor lifespan". its about 30 bucks a set through autozone for these, just have to order them. has anyone used them notice any ill effects from doing so? i know they are mainly ment to keep the brake dust off the rims, that doesnt bother me. im just thinking it might be better for the rotors to keep the salty crap off them during the snow months.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...s&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=82370_0_0_
the rims:
319021.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Couple thoughts...

-I'm pretty familiar with rusty vehicles. :( That said, on rigs that get driven regularly, I don't remember ever seeing rust on the friction surface of a brake rotor. Rigs that sit, maybe; other brake parts, for sure. But not where it'd put any wear on the pads. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I've never seen it.

-I'm real leery of "shields" that don't seal- they might just trap moisture and rot it out faster, ya know? That's just a kind of personal theory, though- no evidence to back it up.

-My buddy had a GMC Jimmy of about the same vintage. Thing ate front brakes for breakfast...because the rear brakes were more or less totally non-functioning. Probably not related, but ya never know, I guess...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts