Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

do i have stiction?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
So my 6.0 feels pretty doggy when its running below 160* oil temp, so doggy that its tough to drive in traffic without letting her warm up. However when i bought it, it didn't seem to do that. Sounds like injectors going to the homo on me, im wondering if i can try to run some kind of diesel treatment through her, does the stuff even work? Currently i dont run anything in the tank. :hammer:

blacksnapon

Staff member
So my 6.0 feels pretty doggy when its running below 160* oil temp, so doggy that its tough to drive in traffic without letting her warm up. However when i bought it, it didn't seem to do that. Sounds like injectors going to the homo on me, im wondering if i can try to run some kind of diesel treatment through her, does the stuff even work? Currently i dont run anything in the tank. :hammer:
The stiction occurs in the oil side of the injector. Stiction is generally seen in the first couple of minutes after cold start. Check your fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure will eat injectors.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
how do you test? Can it be tested with scangauge or is there a schrader on it somewhere?

blacksnapon

Staff member
how do you test? Can it be tested with scangauge or is there a schrader on it somewhere?
Theres a circular fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter housing (under the cac hose). Easy way..............get another fuel filter cap, drill and tap the top for a gauge. You need no less than 40 psi at WOT.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
smart idea to perma mount a fuel pressure gauge? Hell if i have to drill and tap for a guage might as well leave it in right? lol

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
That little adapter i posted looks like it screws into the fuel bowl, i cant remember off the top of my head if there is even a port there.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
And that is what i need?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Parts are ordered, if it comes up low, whats next? Blue Spring mod?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've been meaning to do the blue spring to mine.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Fuel pressure Gauge installed, inlet her warm up to operating Temps and took her for a road test.

I stopped at the bottom of a steep long on ramp. Then glued her to the floor, put er to the wood, dropped the hammer, gave er the onion.

With the programmer all the way up truck empty it will just touch 40 psi. And will go faster than the needle will give u credit for

with the programmer on tow mode, pulling my boat it is definitely above 40. And will still get to 80 mph.

still spits and sputter when motor is cold even at low rpm and trottle. At low rpm I see 45-50 psi.
At idle I'm well over 50

blacksnapon

Staff member
Fuel pressure Gauge installed, inlet her warm up to operating Temps and took her for a road test.

I stopped at the bottom of a steep long on ramp. Then glued her to the floor, put er to the wood, dropped the hammer, gave er the onion.

With the programmer all the way up truck empty it will just touch 40 psi. And will go faster than the needle will give u credit for

with the programmer on tow mode, pulling my boat it is definitely above 40. And will still get to 80 mph.

still spits and sputter when motor is cold even at low rpm and trottle. At low rpm I see 45-50 psi.
At idle I'm well over 50
Yeah, that's a tad low. You need 45 at WOT.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Damn.it....

how tough is the fuel pump to swap? And is it down there on the frame rail by the 1st filter or up on the motor under all the other crap

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Sweet. I'm getting pretty tired of playing 6.0 so I hope this solves my issues.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts