Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

driving without front disc brake splashguards.

racsan

4xford
my '93 has very rusted splashguards on the steering knuckles, looked underneath today to check on my leaking front pinion seal and saw that the passenger side splashguard must have froze to the rotor with snow and when i backed up it pretty much came apart. ive seen rangers run without them, any bad effects from this? the only reason ive not tossed mine yet was because i figured if nothing else, the splashguard would act as a heat sheild between the rotor and the tie rod end thats close to the rotor. besides looking at a junkyard, i doubt id find any for sale anywhere. should i toss 'em and not worry about it, or see about finding a set somewhere?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Personally, I would toss them. When off roading, I always get sticks or stuff jammed up in them.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I tossed the right-side one on my '97 when I replaced the ball joints and discovered that it was in pieces and a replacement part would cost over $100. I ripped the left-side one off a year or so later when it started making noise.

Never had any trouble as a result, and expect that when the winters start to take their toll on the '09, I will take them off it, too.

YMMV, of course.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts