Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust manifolds(?)

Ok I can hear a little tapping sound from my left bank outside:headbang: You can figure out what I'm thinking! I believe it's the manifold starting to go. Can't quite pin point it yet. What are the major headaches to doing them? I've done a few in my time on other trucks but just want to know what to look out for on the 5.4? Thanks!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Does it sound like an exhaust tapping, or does it almost sound like a diesel engine the way it taps?

Ryan

Does it sound like an exhaust tapping, or does it almost sound like a diesel engine the way it taps?

Ryan

Sounds like the manifold type tap. With it warming up and cooling down regulates the loudness of the tap.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The reason I ask is because there is a known issue in the 5.4 that makes the overhead cams tick. The cam phaser gets worn out and it almost sounds like a diesel. Typically they tap loudest when they are warm, and not nearly as much when cold (opposite of what an exhaust manifold leak usually sounds like.)

Ryan

The reason I ask is because there is a known issue in the 5.4 that makes the overhead cams tick. The cam phaser gets worn out and it almost sounds like a diesel. Typically they tap loudest when they are warm, and not nearly as much when cold (opposite of what an exhaust manifold leak usually sounds like.)

Ryan

Huummmmm!? Not you have me thinking! It has 101k on it. Could it be the cam phasers?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Oh yeah, that's plenty of mileage for that to be on your radar. If that is what it is, the good news is to just forget about it and drive it. Mine has been ticking the entire 45k miles I've driven in my truck.

Ryan

rambler

New Shoes......
mine is the manifold.. sounds like a diesel at start up.. then quiets down when warm. someday I'll have to fix it...

Ford Truck Articles