Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FML

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
hywObFG.jpg

Bertha developed a squeak a couple months ago and since I don't drive it more than a few miles a week I've been slacking on tracking it down. This weekend I found it... Opened my hub and there were metal shavings EVERYWHERE. Not good...

I rocked the wheel yesterday and knew I had found the issue, figured it was just a bad wheel bearing. Bought the bearings and a new seal then got home and pulled it apart. When I found this I knew I was screwed-- nobody carries the spindle nut set locally, and my truck was HALF parked in the garage. Ended up having to reassembly with this BROKEN NUT in order to get the damned thing in the driveway.

FML...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Couldn't strategically place a screwdriver and whack it with a hammer...I mean, if it's busted anyway, who cares. Or continue to crack it to the point of crumbling out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh...gotcha. Sounded like since he didn't have a spindle nut socket, he only got as far as looking at it...so he reassembled from that point back out.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Oh no it came out. And in 1 piece actually. But it's got that huge gap and some hairline cracks all over the place.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That sucks and those are quite the fatigue lines in that nut!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Dorman sells them from what I remember. Ive never see that. My mud bronk was abused and wheeled super hard and yet those were fine. I wonder what happened.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I ordered some new parts last night. Something interesting: several websites all say the same thing -- these nuts are a one time use part and should be replaced every time they are removed. I've definitely removed them at least once before...

Oh well it'll get fixed this weekend.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I repack my bearings once year .(plow hauling ) And never had issue with nut . Good to know tho .

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Damn u and ur rust free truck!!!! I have had some PIA ones where I have to heat the crap outta it and pound it out. I would have reused spindle lol. Looks better then some of the ones I have had.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I dont plan on having any dana 44s ever again.......unless its ur truck hahaha

Ford Truck Articles