Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Front bumpers

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Is there a difference in the front bumpers for these trucks? I'm getting ready to order one, but not sure exactly what I should order for my 77 F250 4x4 Highboy. Thanks.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Mainly the mounting. I don't think there is a difference, but my truck uses brackets to mount the bumper instead of directly to the frame and I just wanted to make sure all front bumpers mount the same.

Fellro

Staff member
The 2wd's have wider frames, so that is why they are able to directly mount to the frame, while the "highboys" have to use brackets to offset the holes to be able to mount.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I should clarify a little more after I read my post. I guess what I'm wondering is what's the difference between the bumpers listed as 67-77 application and 78-79 application? Is it the style or is there a difference in mounting? I know that may sound stupid, but I guess I've never really noticed and never paid attention for the different years.

Fellro

Staff member
The style is a shade different. The 77 and earlier are more rounded, and the 78-9 are a bit squarish of a sort on the top part.

Yes 78-79 are different than a 77 .
License plate opening vs being solid.

The 77 1/2 is different than the so called highboy because of frame width.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I was going to go with the 77 and earlier style bumper and thought about getting an aftermarket pushbar like the ones Graveyard sells, but I also like the look of the bumper pads. So, my next question is, do the bumper pads mount OK with the 77 and earlier style?

Yes I have them on my 77 4x2

I have set of those bumperettes in nice shape ...BTW ;)

77truck3.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
I had a 73 parts truck that had them. I'll have to try to remember to snap some pics so you can see the difference.

I should clarify a little more after I read my post. I guess what I'm wondering is what's the difference between the bumpers listed as 67-77 application and 78-79 application? Is it the style or is there a difference in mounting? I know that may sound stupid, but I guess I've never really noticed and never paid attention for the different years.

Mounting bolt holes are the same, the outer shell is a bit different. Here's what I found about the factory pushbar. Posted this to show you the different angles of the bumpers.

Heres some good info on the factory push bars:

This is a factory correct push bar for the 78-79 Bronco's:

dsc02540.jpg

There was an early style bar like this that fit the 77 style bumper.

Mounts for a 77 model bumper:

DSC01079.JPG

Mounts for the 78-79 bumper:

dsc01739.jpg

You can see the difference in the way the top mount plate is bent. The problem comes when trying to mount the bottom bolts. 77 style on a 78-79 truck:

DSC01078.JPG

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Yep , what he said.....I put the bumper off my 76 f250 4x4 Hi-Boy onto my 78 Bronco with no problems

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts