Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Filter Plugging

My filters plugged this morning. It had gotten down to about -26F last night. I have been using Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement(White Bottle; 10 oz/23 Gal) which should be good down to -40 F to prevent fuel gelling and lowers CFFP by 36F(according to the website). The truck started fine, but would not go faster than 35 MPH. I dumped a bottle of Diesel 911 into the tank and continued to work.(~15 miles).

1) Any concern with damage to injectors due to the pressure drop across the filter(I am assuming the primary filter was clogged)?

2) Does Ford have anything written stating that use of Diesel 911 will void the Powertrain Warranty(A service advisor told me that today)? She claimed that use of this product would damage the injectors. I pretty much dismissed what she said but it is worth asking.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My filters plugged this morning. It had gotten down to about -26F last night. I have been using Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement(White Bottle; 10 oz/23 Gal) which should be good down to -40 F to prevent fuel gelling and lowers CFFP by 36F(according to the website). The truck started fine, but would not go faster than 35 MPH. I dumped a bottle of Diesel 911 into the tank and continued to work.(~15 miles).

1) Any concern with damage to injectors due to the pressure drop across the filter(I am assuming the primary filter was clogged)?

2) Does Ford have anything written stating that use of Diesel 911 will void the Powertrain Warranty(A service advisor told me that today)? She claimed that use of this product would damage the injectors. I pretty much dismissed what she said but it is worth asking.
Not so much diesel 911 as starving the injectors. Why dont you change your filters just in case? There is a prior approval process for replacing injectors under warranty. One step in the process is confirming adequate clean fuel, another is proper filter maintenance.

About halfway home from work the truck started acting a lot better. I was going to change the filters next month anyways because they are due. I remember this happened last winter one one occasion.

Clearly there must be a variance in the effect an additive has on CFPP depending on the initial fuel quality/type. I have been switching between Motorcraft anti-gel and Power Service this winter(not for any particular reason). I only buy my fuel from Hess or Mobil, both are fairly high volume stations.

If I am hearing you correctly a finding a fuel filter that was plugged, regardless of if anti-gel additive is being run or not, may be grounds to deny warranty. By "adequate clean fuel" do you mean it is tested to ensure it meets ASTM specification rather than for the presence of specific additives? If so running an additive be it Power Service or Motorcraft should have the effect of exceeding ASTM specification.

Vince, I have to say thanks to you, Dave, and the other techs here for taking the time to answer my questions. If I lived in your neck of the woods this would be worth many beers not to mention my business.

blacksnapon

Staff member
About halfway home from work the truck started acting a lot better. I was going to change the filters next month anyways because they are due. I remember this happened last winter one one occasion.

Clearly there must be a variance in the effect an additive has on CFPP depending on the initial fuel quality/type. I have been switching between Motorcraft anti-gel and Power Service this winter(not for any particular reason). I only buy my fuel from Hess or Mobil, both are fairly high volume stations.

If I am hearing you correctly a finding a fuel filter that was plugged, regardless of if anti-gel additive is being run or not, may be grounds to deny warranty. By "adequate clean fuel" do you mean it is tested to ensure it meets ASTM specification rather than for the presence of specific additives? If so running an additive be it Power Service or Motorcraft should have the effect of exceeding ASTM specification.

Vince, I have to say thanks to you, Dave, and the other techs here for taking the time to answer my questions. If I lived in your neck of the woods this would be worth many beers not to mention my business.
More often than not, we are limited in ourabilities to "test" the quality of the fuel. It will end up as a test for fuel pressure, and if the fuel "looks" right (water contamination, or other visible contaminates), and have the filters ever been changed.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

I usually tell people to use one bottle of the Motorcraft Anti Gel per tank of fuel, and that seems to work well. I would stay away from anything that has alcohol in it as well. The injectors do not like being starved for fuel. There may no be a problem right away but some times it shows up later down the road. When I check fuel quality it is just making sure there is enough pressure and the fuel is fairly clean we have no other means to test quality at my shop. If you need anything fixed you can always drive back to CT to see me, I can work my warrenty magic. :wasntme:

I usually tell people to use one bottle of the Motorcraft Anti Gel per tank of fuel, and that seems to work well. I would stay away from anything that has alcohol in it as well. The injectors do not like being starved for fuel. There may no be a problem right away but some times it shows up later down the road. When I check fuel quality it is just making sure there is enough pressure and the fuel is fairly clean we have no other means to test quality at my shop. If you need anything fixed you can always drive back to CT to see me, I can work my warrenty magic. :wasntme:

Dave, if I ever had a problem with my engine/transmission I do not think I would trust that work to anyone else.

I did find out that Diesel 911 contains some alcohol which may be why the dealer here gave me the response that they did. Power Service does not recommend any more than 1 oz per gallon of fuel. My add was consistent with that recommendation. The cold snap is done here so I will go out tomorrow and dilute further with more diesel and probably some of the Motorcraft additive. Fuel filters are due in 3000 miles but I decided to move that up as soon as time/money permits.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Dave, if I ever had a problem with my engine/transmission I do not think I would trust that work to anyone else.

I did find out that Diesel 911 contains some alcohol which may be why the dealer here gave me the response that they did. Power Service does not recommend any more than 1 oz per gallon of fuel. My add was consistent with that recommendation. The cold snap is done here so I will go out tomorrow and dilute further with more diesel and probably some of the Motorcraft additive. Fuel filters are due in 3000 miles but I decided to move that up as soon as time/money permits.

Good idea I usually recomend to change the filters when the fuel gels up just to be safe.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Living here in ND where the mercury can drop to near -40 w/o a windchill I tend to run a 50/50 blend for the duration of the winter. I used to use Powerservice (the white bottle), but this year I decided what I spend on that stuff I can avoid the hassle of additives and just fill with 50/50. The costs have to be about equal, and there is NEVER a question of if there was enough additive added.

BTW, I do use the "silver" Powerservice year round.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Ok.... here is what you need to know.

1) Using the white bottle of PowerService is the right stuff to use and what I use.

2) The amount on the bottle is an OK amount, but not a perfect amount... as there is no way Powerservice can know how much moisture may be in the fuel your using, moisture in your tank, moisture in your HFCM filter and if your filter is due to be changed (a dirty filter will allow for gelling quicker than a clean filter all things being equal).

3) I always double-dose treat when I fill-up... and when temps get really cold, I would really "double-dose" if your one that normally does not double-dose treat. It just goes to show you that even when it is so cold outside, amazing that your local fuel stations are not selling "winterized" diesel fuel? This is why I treat 100% of the time I fill up and know it was done right and that my truck and fuel can handle it for the long hall (double-treat - better safe than sorry). Actually, I add 32oz of Powerservice per fill-up in my Excursion, which holds 44 gallons... and I never allow it to get below 1/4 on the fuel guage... so I am actaully more than "double-dosing"... but then again, I am the guy you can call to come pick you up on the side of the road in exchange for a steak dinner and a beer!!!

4) Using PowerService 911 is OK to use on a "one-off" basis and for emergencies. It is mainly Kerosene and liquifies gelled fuel so it will flow again. Kerosene has very little lubricity properties, but one tank of this stuff is not going to hurt anything. The key is to allow you to get home to a garage and allow your truck to warm up and allow the filters to un-gell (if they were not too bad) or for you to change out the fuel filters in your garage versus on the side of the road when it is -20F outside!!!!!

Here is a photo of a very bad gelled 6.0L fuel filter by the way (not mine):

Gelledup60LFuelFilter.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles