Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel in oil (08 6.4)

Oil in Fuel

Took truck to Louisburg Ford Dealer in KS … great operation. They did the AB test as well as checked the injectors and high pressure fuel pump. Also they sent a note to Ford Motor Company asking them this question? Does Ford have a spec of how much fuel should be in the oil?

Ford Tech Service Response: “There is no spec for the amount of allowable fuel in oil. Ford does not rely on oil analysis alone to initiate repairs. Some oil dilution with fuel on this engine is normal. During regen the injectors fuel on the exhaust stroke. This will result in some fuel dilution in the oil...Other techs have reported about a quart increase in about 3000 miles to be about the average oil growth. Depending on vehicle usage, fuel quality, and driving habits, this can vary. Recommend performing step 26 of the hard start no start diagnostics in section 4 of the PC/ED to see if there is a concern with the vehicle. If you do not get any oil growth through this test, this is normal and no repairs should be performed. Have the customer monitor the oil level and return if the concern get worse.”

You have got to be kidding me. I think this is a totally BS response from Ford. So if I was to dump a quart of fuel in my oil when I changed it … Ford and all of you would think I was nuts. Hell they stress I must only use Motorcraft oil… I wonder if they sell it with the fuel already in the oil. Save time. Maybe I’m just unaware of fuels lubricating abilities? I do not accept that any amount of fuel in the oil is “normal”. The dilution is causing wear… it has to be reducing the oil’s lubricating characteristics of the oil… Ford this is not NORMAL. The 6.4L is broken and Ford need to fix it.

So at some point the wear will cause damage and it will be my fault for not monitoring the oil level close enough… not Ford. This is the message I get from Ford. I did not want it to be this way… but the Ford F250 will go and I will never buy another Ford again. I was looking for an honest response and a fair solution… did not get either.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you are changing oil at the 10k mark, thats better than most. Depending on how you use your truck, I'd switch to between 7500 and 5000 mile intervals. Remember, its not a Ford engine, its a Navistar engine. Gm and Dodge has their own issues with the regeneration cycle. The fault lies directly at the feet of the EPA requiring manufacturers to meet emissions standards. That was the first try at the regeneration part of it. The new 6.7 is much more efficient at it. Because of the UREA injection, less regens are necessary.

So is there no test that ensures only the proper amount of fuel is being added to the crankcase? Our company uses a PTO to run a pump so we don't necessarily have a lot of miles but we do have a chunk of hours, but we'll see a couple qts added to the oil between changing the oil within 3,000 mi. Just to experiment we changed it in under a week and found the same thing happening in even a shorter period of time. Yet the Ford district 'complaints manager' says that's normal.

blacksnapon

Staff member
So is there no test that ensures only the proper amount of fuel is being added to the crankcase? Our company uses a PTO to run a pump so we don't necessarily have a lot of miles but we do have a chunk of hours, but we'll see a couple qts added to the oil between changing the oil within 3,000 mi. Just to experiment we changed it in under a week and found the same thing happening in even a shorter period of time. Yet the Ford district 'complaints manager' says that's normal.
There actually is no "standard" amount of oil dilution. Reason----different people use their vehicles in different ways. I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but its the truth. One that idles a lot and/or has short trips will have more fuel dilution than one that stays at high speeds. One that gets oil changes at 5000 miles will have less dilution than one that gets changed at 10k. The owners need to be mindful of this. Because of EPA regulations, this is a fact of life.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
This just seems retarded to me.....I can see this going full circle over and over again. With this amount of fuel dilution, do they know what the life expectancy of the bearings is? They're obviously getting etched by the fuel, the question is how much?

Ford Truck Articles