Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gauge Questions

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...I'm planning on throwing a gauge panel in the Bronco. I figured I'd go with a tach, oil psi, trans temp and water temp. My thoughts were to get a 3 guage panel for 2 1/16" gauges and mount that under the ash tray or in that general vicinity. I'm also not a fan of big gaudy tachs especially not ones hanging on the steering column. So I was thinking I'd get a 2 5/8" tach with an adjustable pedestal and mount by the other gauges. Anyone see any problems with this?

Now for other questions:

-What gauges do you guys use to monitor your rigs? I'm not looking for name brand, but what does the gauge monitor.

-Do you guys prefer mechanical or electric gauges? Pros and cons of each?

-What brands of gauges do you guys recommend? I know there are always the big names, but do you guys have any brands that are still reliable but not gonna cost me $400 for the gauges I want.

-Is there a way to retain the stock oil SU and use an aftermarket psi gauge? It drives me nuts having a dead dummy gauge.

Thanks for any and all input.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here ya go It's a hefty price tag, though.

Thanks but no thanks. Not into digital dashes/gauges and certainly don't need one that fancy. Besides...didn't you read the part where I wanted to go CHEAPER than the $400 it'll take me to get the new gauges I want from Autometer. I'll pay that if I have to, but if there is a comparable product out there for less...I'm game. I've got a couple Sun Pro gauges in Red that the PO put in there...and they seem to be holding up well.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I have a 5" monster tach because it was free. It is mounted to the A-pillar. I have a mechanical temp. guage mounted outside on the cowl. I have an electric oil pressure guage clamped to steering column. Electrical guages You can mount just about anywhere since you can put wire of any length basically. My mechanical temp guage is limited by the length of wire that they give you. My guages are Autometer because I wanted them to match the tach I got for free.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...so I'm set on electric gauges and what I want to have monitored. I'm also set on how they're going to be mounted. Anybody care to persuade me?

Anyone have any other suggestions for price-conscious gauges?

I'm still wondering if there is a way to retain the factory oil sending unit as well as running a new oil psi gauge.

I'm also wondering how you guys keep the water temp lines and tach lines looking clean in your engine compartment?

Last but not least...any tips on hooking up the tach? After reading the Autometer install instructions it looks like a wire to neg on the battery, a wire to the neg on the coil, a wire to the ignition and a wire to a light source. Anyone care to expound on these instructions and what you did?

Thanks for any and all replies.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I just wired according to the directions, but then ran the wires along existing wires to the engine and taped them together so they are in one neat bundle. I can try to get a few pictures tomorrow. I would now, but leaving the house and it is raining out. I would go with Autometer or sunpro gauges myself. And I think it is a good idea going with electric. As far as using the exisiting oil sending unit I'm not sure. But the sending unit that came with my oil pressure gauge screwed right in to the existing spot so... If you are wanting gauges to monitor your engine I would take the extra step and use the matching sending unit so it is accurate. But that being said mechanical is probably the most accurate since oil is pumped right to the gauge.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm also not a fan of big gaudy tachs especially not ones hanging on the steering column. So I was thinking I'd get a 2 5/8" tach with an adjustable pedestal and mount by the other gauges. Anyone see any problems with this?

I've driven a lot of miles in standard-shift cars and trucks that didn't have tach's, so I certainly won't argue you need one in easy line-of-site...

BUT, I also can't say as I see much use at all for one that's not easy to glance at while driving. I'd say, if you don't want the look of an add-on tach and aren't willing to find/buy a factory one, save your pennies and skip it.

I can't give you much of use on your oil-pressure question, but I do believe it's possible- and not even terribly hard. Might even be as simple as a standard plumbing "tee", but I've never done it, so I can't say for sure.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks again Sean. I guess when it comes to the wiring, I'm wondering if you spliced in to the appropriate wire, or did you wire directly to the fuse box?

As for the sending unit...I was just trying to avoid having dead dummy gauge, but if I can't prevent that...no biggie.

As for electric vs. mechanical...yeah the mechanicals are more accurate, but for ease of install...I'll go with electric Not to mention if one of those mechnical lines ever blows/splits/gets a hole...buh-bye interior.

Edit...thanks for the post Ian. As for the tach...it's more for peace of mind and knowing exactly where I'm at when making engine adjustments.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I used t's on all my sending units that way all my mechanical gauges work as do the idiot lights and gauges. A light on the dash gets your attention way faster than a needle that dropped and you just do not notice.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I used t's on all my sending units that way all my mechanical gauges work as do the idiot lights and gauges. A light on the dash gets your attention way faster than a needle that dropped and you just do not notice.

Correct me if I'm wrong or missing something, but T's are for mecahnical to mechanical, right? So that wouldn't work for a electric SU and an electric gauge.

And when you wire up...do you splice in or go directly to the fuse box?

Last edited:

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
I also run Sunpro gauges in my truck.All mechanical gauges.Have water temperature,oil pressure,and volt meter in a panel.Have a SunproII tach on steering column,but don't see why you couldn't make a pedestal mount if you chose to.I ordered a #3an line w/swivels for the oil pressure gauge.no chance of that bursting.I plumbed the sender and gauge connection together with a 1/4" tee and a 45* elbow.Ran the capillary line for the w/t gauge down the existing bundle on the intake manifold.I also have a vacuum gauge mounted in a seperate panel.Hope this helps.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I put a T in the sending unit hole and then put my electrical sending units in the one hole of the T so my electrical gauges and idiot lights still work. The other I put the mechanical in so both gauges work.
You could just put another electric sending unit into the other hole in the T and have both gauges working.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts