Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Glow Plug Controller 85

Searched and only popped up a few posts..Is there some kind of mod using later model controller? Mine will be 85 .
Going to pick it up tomorow , it has a know glow plug problem..Last time someone poked around all the glow plugs were gone...
I believe the controller was replaced along with the plugs . But it didnt last long..
Hopefully get a chance to poke around tomorow, test the glow plugs out..
Seems I have seen a bunch of these trucks with a bypassed manual switch to the glow plugs..
These controllers must be problematic?
Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
The pre-87 glow plug controller have a history of failing, which leaves the the glow plugs powered on for until they burn out. There are pretty much three ways of dealing with them, depending on what you want to do. You can have a kill switch and run the regular controller, or no kill if you trust it, then you can manually power them by using a switch to power the relay the controller powers, or switch it all out for an 87 up unit which also requires newer style glow plugs. The easiest to do is manual switch controlling the glow plug relay. It uses all of the existing wiring harness. You simply trip the relay to heat the glow plugs, and it is off when you don't.

Ford Truck Articles