Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got another bug up my butt...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
i've always wanted one too. lots of forums about them specifically. they seem like they'd make good cars too. you should get one, hell - get 2 and give trista one :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I really like the 'Vics, though of course I'll need to swap a 5-speed in when I get one.

That being said, I'd be really leery of an Interceptor. Guy I knew in HS bought a Chevy from the state police at an auction, and found that the wiring was so badly mangled from their installation and subsequent removal of lights, that he basically ended up rewiring all the lighting completely. BIG project.

Storm

I had a 98 Interceptor Vic.. Sold it last year.. Was fast and could easily get thrown into a power slide with ease..

Drove up to Chico last night and saw an old police interceptor (crown vic of course) for sale on the side of the road and now I really want one as a 2nd car :) Looking on kbb they're moderately priced and it claims 17/25 mpg with the 4.6L V8. What do ya'll think? :) Tony, don't you have an old interceptor?

Check out this beauty:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/736092294.html

Or this one:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/732903046.html

I'm thinking if you have the money then HECK YES! :D

Doesn't sound like the boss is all that happy about it though... [confused]

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
a buddy of mine has a 94 crown vic that use to be an police interceptor. He had a mess for the wiring as someone else said on here, and he has buttons that didn't do anything. Other than that he got decent gas mileage and more than enough pick up and go. It also has heavy duty parts on it, like suspension and such, so if something needs to be replaced you'll be paying more for those components. Anyways, i say get it, they make cool vehicles to cruise around in.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I only caution you to remember what the were used for and how they were driven Chris.

speaking from a little experience they are driven hard and put away broken many many times. Also odometer might not be an accurate representation of engine time. Our dept has a switch that allows cars to be left running while on calls, eating, taking a leak or whatever. With temps routinely above 100 down here most of our cars get started at the beginning if the shift and NOT turned off until the shift ends 12 hours later. And then the next shift gets in and does the same. This cycle continues for YEARS.

Over curbs, driven down the center median (where the trash of the freeway collects) PIT manuvers, even had one engine blow up last year when they officer thought his "boat" could cross the overflown river (Yep stupidity, not just for civilians anymore)

NOW knowing that you are pretty mechanically inclined I would say you would probably LOVE owning one because you could fix/upgrade stuff. AND with the cage removed the back seat is pretty roomy.:cooldude:

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I think Aaron outlines all the reasons why I love Vics... but would think long and hard before I'd buy an ex-LEO unit.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I would add that small dept cars would be preferable over a large department car IMO. Here's why. My dept buys on average 8 new patrol vehicles a year. San Diego PD buys upwards of 200 cars a year.

Point being is that smaller depts rely on their vehicles much more and probably take better care of them. Large depts have the resources to buy more vehicles thus don't necessarily have the incentive to maintain them.

Next point. Many small depts (like mine) contract out service while large depts have their own garages. I equate that to someone taking their car to the shop to have it fixed vs your brother fixing it. At the shop you complain and complain till it is done to your satisfaction AND you have recourse if it is not. When your brother is working on it and he don't want to anymore or has broken something your only recourse is an Indian Burn to the arm or to piss in his beer can, either way your car is still broke. Happened like that at SDPD all the time. Mechanics they were and nice guys to boot but no recourse when it ain't fixed in a timely manner or not right at all.

Although our fleet is small the local garage has incentitive to get it right because he does not want to loose our fleet contract.

Just some food for thought...and if you get one give me a call, I'll show you how it is meant to be driven...:suspicious:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Realistically -- I can't afford one for a LEAST a few years. But I'd like to get one eventually. I do realize that these cars are probably driven HARD! I was keeping my eyes peeled for more of a 'detective' interceptor -- lots of times they're like a dark sandy brown or solid black. Most of the ones I found only had 40-50k miles and didn't have a scratch on them. I think the cosmetic condition could be a general indicator of how it's treated.

And of course if I bought one I would test drive it first. Small mechanical issues = no problem. But I'd notice any huge/glaring/expensive fixes right away and walk away.

Anyways... Just day dreaming... Don't expect to see me in one anytime soon. Unless I get in trouble :D

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I had a couple. I sold the 01, but I still have the 92. Both of them were the p71 interceptor. The 01 I bought on auction for the sole purpose of reselling. The 92 I have had for years and it has been completely reliable. It has close to 275k on it now and still only uses a quart of oil between changes. The engine is original, as far as I know.

The first one I ever owned, I bought when I was 17. It was an 82 with the 351w in it. I still miss that car.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Oregon State units get sold at 75K miles- many don't have very hard miles on them, lotsa Interstate driving. The majority of the old units get turned into cabs, and get run another 200K miles or so before they get sold again. Tough cars, any way you cut it.

Out this way, the state buys new, the sheriff buys ex-state, the local townships buy either ex-state or ex-sheriff, and eventually it goes to auction.
I bid on one once and was beat by 50 bucks. :headbang:
I had one of the old Javelin LAPD cruisers back in 80... That was actually a sweet car, and I got soooo many offers for that. One was just too good to pass up and away she went.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts