Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gotta pull the heads/motor AGAIN!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Well after fighting with the truck for the past couple of days after blowing a spark plug outta the head again, I decided to pull the heads and maybe the motor to make things a little easier (since I need new headers, cams, and heads maybe a good time to do all that while I have it out.

I'm so mad right now I can't see straight! But at least the guy who built my motor is willing to fix the heads the right way this time free of charge. I just hope I didn't screw up anything else too.....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Damn Doc, tough luck. Hope it all gets straightened out for ya. And how exactly do you blow out a spark plug?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Damn Doc, tough luck. Hope it all gets straightened out for ya. And how exactly do you blow out a spark plug?

I was wondering that myself . ..??????

Modular engines are notorious for blowing spark plugs out. Even a TSB out on it IIRC. Aluminum cylinder heads can be finicky.
Google "Ford Spark Plug Blowout

www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/ford_techs_spark_plugs.html
www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html
www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_12997/ford_spark_plug_blow_out_problems_how_to_repair.html

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So what...it rips the threads out and it shoots outta the hole like a bullet or something?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
So what...it rips the threads out and it shoots outta the hole like a bullet or something?

Yep, i added some links to my previous post.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yea, they do shoot out like a bullet and the 5.4's are notorious for it as well.IIRC it's because they are fine thread? Don't quote me on that. Time for a V10 SC motor Doc!

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Actually all the mod engines are known for spark plug blowout. Damn aluminum heads, not many threads to attach the plug to. See my previous post above for links of Google "Ford Spark Plug Blowout".

The head design was Not one of Ford's "Better Ideas"

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah there is whats called a 4 thread head and most of our trucks with the 5.4 have em. Due to vibration, hot cold temperature changes, over tightening the spark plugs etc. the basically vibe out of the hole or pull the threads out and the only thing that keeps them from comin through the hood is the damn coil that is right on top of them. Needless to say the coil is shot, and I am not a very happy. One good thing is that Oreilly's Auto sells a Borg Warner Lifetime warrenty coil and all 8 of mine have replaced so that won't cost me.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Well just looked up some stuff on Summit. I went ahead and ordered new cams (backordered will ship on the 13th), new headers, copper/carbon header gaskets, copper head gaskets, Underdrive pullies and Stage 8 locking header bolts. Hopefully that will take care of the motor for a while.

I really need to close my checking account so I will quit spending money! LOL

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
'drama' :nana: smilieneenar smiliepopcorn Funny, my 6.0 has NEVER spit out a plug. :) Just a couple pistons and rods. :p

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts