Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

grinding in front end.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
this just started happening when i took off for town friday. At lower speeds, about 45 mph and below. It soudn like there grinding comeing from the drive side front wheel, maybe from both sides but i cant tell. But it reminds me of the time i bent my brake pad and it sat on the rotor while going down the raod, but not quite as bad, So i figured i had some mud in there so i took it down to the car wash.
Still there. It grinds when im coasting. and when i get up to about 35 mph. But when i hit the brakes it goes away.

new wheel bearing. I just had one installed a year and half ago on that side after i blew the rotor, caliper, etc.

Maybe i need another bearing? I used to go mudding alot if that helps.

Anthony

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I would check the wheel bearings. Make sure they are good. If they are, it's a good time to repack them.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I repack the bearings once year. They can be loose . Even after repack I check mine after a couple trips to work.

Could be bearings or even a bad set of Brake pads . Check her out and let us know

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
smilieIagree

My first instinct is those wheel bearings. Check your wheel bearings on both sides, repack them, and make sure they're torqued to the right spec (very important!)

Also examine the grease in the hub for metal particulate... You might have a bad hub that's halfway locking and rubbing the splines on the spindle.

blacksnapon

Staff member
watch for your backing plate rubbing on your rotors.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
smilieIagree

My first instinct is those wheel bearings. Check your wheel bearings on both sides, repack them, and make sure they're torqued to the right spec (very important!)

Also examine the grease in the hub for metal particulate... You might have a bad hub that's halfway locking and rubbing the splines on the spindle.

torque spec aint always right there scooter...
100ft lbs on my wheels isnt enough...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
100ft lbs on my wheels isnt enough...
Says who?! Perhaps this is the reason you're going through wheel bearings so much... LOL!

Er wait a minute, are you talking about your lug nuts? Because I was talking about your spindle nuts/wheel retainer nut...

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
lug nuts. I know your supposed to torque wheel nut (spindle nuts) ...there something where the torque spec is way to low for me to trust.

I used to torque my lugs to 100ft lbs. Then one day my wheel got loose...and wobbled all over..now i just zip them on a with an impact. drive for like 20 miles then check it with a 4 way.

And yes i checked it at 100ft lbs again after i drove 20 miles...and then about a week later my wheel almost fell off.

check the bearings.. remember what happened to me??? I know Skan does

122207_16471.jpg

122307_14081.jpg

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
what happened?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yep, I remember it all too well Nextras. He DESTROYED a wheel bearing and it made some god awful noises. He can tell the story better.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Without getting into a debate on lug nut torque...

Wheel BEARING torque is kinda important- too loose and they'll wobble and wear out fast, too tight and they'll burn up.

EDIT: Anthony...is your truck 4x4 or 4x2?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
4x2
yea this isnt the first time ive done wheel bearings...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
4x2
yea this isnt the first time ive done wheel bearings...
Whoops, I was assuming this was 4x4 since you said you were mudding a lot, lol.

In that case, it's the wheel retainers that you'll need to torque to the correct spec (as opposed to spindle nuts). Like Ian said, if they're not right where they need to be you'll be going through wheel bearings on a regular basis.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well it doubt its the wheel bearings. Seems both brakes are engaged. Its a PITA to turn the rotors by hand.

One lug and one stud also went down the tube. Ill update you again tomorow when i tear into it...IM heading to town to get some...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Am I remembering right that your truck sat for quite a while, and you just started driving it again?

Couple of years ago, I parked my Ranger while I was away for the summer, and after a couple months of driving, I discovered that the front brakes were dragging pretty bad (both sides). Turned out that sliders where the pads sit were all rusty, and they wouldn't really release right. Had a kind of a "scraping" sound to it, I could only hear it at low speeds with the windows down.

I'm not positive that it was due to sitting, but I've always assumed so; though it didn't really make itself apparent (as in stinking of burning brakes driving down the highway) for almost two months after I started driving the thing again.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yea it didnt move for 6 months..

Ford Truck Articles