Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gt40 heads

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Reuse the valves, when you have the machine shop work them, have them do a double angle valve job and call it good.

The intake side has a lot of air flow, but the exhaust ports are a little restrictive. If you feel crazy you can clean up the floor of the exhaust ports on the heads to help airflow.

The springs and whatnot need to be chosen based on the other components like camshaft.

Ryan

I'm not exactly sure what cam I have. I have been trying to figure out. The guy bought the motor from said it was a Howard's cam with .478 lift or something. I don't know if that's right because I haven't found a Howard's cam with that lift yet.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not a cam expert. I am building an engine and bought a comp cams kit that came with the right valvetrain to match the cam I wanted. Sounds like you really need to find out what cam it is if you want to reuse it and do so effectively.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Call Howards directly is what I would do.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Always best to find out..less chance for error.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If they ate GT40 P heads, your stock exhaust manifolds, or ford f 150 headers won't work.

the gt40 P head has a straight in plug instead of an angle plug.

You will need to order a set of Summit Pacesetter shorty headers, and put a dimple on #7 and #8 primary tubes, to clear the plugs. You will also need a set of plug wires for a Explorer.

As far as the valve springs, use the ones off the heads you have now if they match the cam that's in the block now

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Valve springs have to match the cam. You will need the numbers off the end of the cam, then contact the manufacture about what you need.

This is important, because some cams require that you do NOT use rotators on the exhaust valves.

Was there heads on the block when you got it?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Is the timing cover already in place? If not, you need to pull it, then the timing chain and cam gear. On the end of the cam will be the manufacture, and all the numbers for the cam. Unless you have this info, you are just shooting blanks.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I tried to keep all the stock ratios and lengths and whatnot on mine.

If someone says the engine is a 'roller' they are talking about the roller lifters.

FlatAndRollerProfile.gif

Roller Rockers are a totally different thing, refers to the rocker on the head.

vvposn002.jpg

They roll on that pivot rather than a standard rocker.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles