Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Guages

Michigan
Hey, If i was to get guages for my truck, what ones should i get. Im looking for only a 2 pod guage set up on the A pillar. I want a trans temp guage, but having a hard time thinking of what other one i should get... Also what are the best aftermarket trans pans that are available?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
a water temp guage then you will have the trans and engine temp under controll

i went with a 3-pod (not installed yet) - really the only other cost was the gauge, pod was the same price

trans temp, coolant temp, and oil pressure

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Autometer makes awesome gauges, check them out.

What do you mean by 'best' aftermarket pan? I'm very satisfied with my Derale cooler pan. Its WAY cheaper than the other aftermarket pans (like Mag Hytec for example), and it works great. Has cooling tubes running through the fluid to help keep fluid cool ;)

Michigan
Yea my dad has the phantoms, i love em but they are expensive.. I went to Dieselmanor and they have guages on there pretty cheap, black background and light up green, they will match my guages in my truck, thats if i dont get the white background for them. How much did that Derale pan cost you? Does it add any more quarts? I would also love to do a shift kit in it, i work in a pole barn with a pit! So it should be a little bit easier than working on your back. How would you hook the guage up for water temp? Drill and tap a thermocouple into the radiator?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yea my dad has the phantoms, i love em but they are expensive.. I went to Dieselmanor and they have guages on there pretty cheap, black background and light up green, they will match my guages in my truck, thats if i dont get the white background for them. How much did that Derale pan cost you? Does it add any more quarts? I would also love to do a shift kit in it, i work in a pole barn with a pit! So it should be a little bit easier than working on your back. How would you hook the guage up for water temp? Drill and tap a thermocouple into the radiator?
Yeah I chose my Autometer trans temp gauge to match my stock gauges as closely as possible:

DSC00878.jpg

This is the gauge I bought:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-2640&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Also bought a green LED bulb to replace the incandescent one that came with the gauge; LED gives off better light and lasts longer:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-3285&N=700+0&autoview=sku

And lastly, here's the Derale pan I bought:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DER-14108&N=700+0&autoview=sku

That Derale pan is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than other aftermarket pans, which can easily been in excess of $200 or $300 for the nicer ones. Granted, the pan is probably not manufactured to the same quality, but it works fine and its the only one with cooling tubes ;)

Michigan
Saweet! Yea i think im gonna go with the Red bulb covers, when you pull up next to my dads truck and look in the window and see 3 red circuls its like WHOA! no racing for me lol. Yea i definatly like that! Hey with that shift kit, did you get any better mileage? Im going to be pulling a 16 Foot inclosed snowmobile trailer full of camping gear and fourwheelers this summer and i think my trans is shifting dumb lol, not as firm as my dads trans with the transgo kit..

Michigan
That pan is awesome, A TON Cheaper than the crap i was looking at, 380 bucks yikes! Do those cooling tubes run all the way through the pan? So i can powerwash the inside of them from time to time.

pretty sure his trans pan came with rubber plugs you can plug up if you're going through dirt, and yes, also fairly certain they go straight through ...remember seeing a pic of the inside

EDIT: maybe i lied - i stalked through his photobucket and couldn't find what i was thinking about, but here's some pics of it
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Stuff/Tranny Pan/

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
pretty sure his trans pan came with rubber plugs you can plug up if you're going through dirt, and yes, also fairly certain they go straight through ...remember seeing a pic of the inside

EDIT: maybe i lied - i stalked through his photobucket and couldn't find what i was thinking about, but here's some pics of it
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Stuff/Tranny Pan/

Yup the tubes run all the way through and you can rinse them out.

And no they don't come with plugs but it would be awfully easy to find/make some.

either way... i'd get the 3 gauge pod. i can't remember if i couldn't get a 4 or if they didn't make one, but i kinda wanted the outdoor temp gauge. (94% useless, but a neat way to do it)

Michigan
Yup the tubes run all the way through and you can rinse them out.
Yea as long as i can take the powerwasher to em that will be sweet. Yea we will see on the guages. I have to get my taxes done first! Also why im at it, will a 460 air tube fit a air box from a SD system? I thought i heard that all 460s are SD systems and non MAF. Is that true?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yea as long as i can take the powerwasher to em that will be sweet. Yea we will see on the guages. I have to get my taxes done first! Also why im at it, will a 460 air tube fit a air box from a SD system? I thought i heard that all 460s are SD systems and non MAF. Is that true?
I do believe the bottom portion of the airbox is the same between MAF and SD, it's just the lid that differs. I THINK!

Michigan
yea thats the big thing, more fluid goin around the cooler it is, plus thats alot more steel! To bad its not raw steel cuz id like to powdercoat it red!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I got the ones off ebay Color shift or something like that u can set for 7 different colors of light. Put em in my plow truck Like $130 with any 3 gauges u pick .

Tran temp and oil pressure r my biggies . I had water and noticed that Water temp gauge was reading same as the stock. Good gauge was up the stock was up . Its a good idea but the other 2 r also

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
It's getting harder and harder to keep up with you guys with the mods, my list is getting longer and longer,lol. Thinking real hard today , I have alittle $ that the missus doesn't know about and the Bulldog remote start came to mind , now that would tickle my fancy , then shift kit. then next month Chris's headers. Now that is opening a can of worms,lol.

Mike

Michigan
lol yea im trying to get the funds lined up, i got a good size list. Remote start would be awesome also! Dangit! Another one to the list!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts