Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

gunning for Ryan's title

I know...

I was tired of my truck being 3 colors of red and 4 colors of primer. I roughly sanded this (by hand) and sprayed it with rattlecan primer and paint. Several coats of each.

The truck will be a 50/50 until this fall, but at least it will be one color.

Dad and I will work on the suspension and brakes as soon as we finish installing countertops for my mom. Mom comes first! YelloThumbUp

orattlecan.jpg

On a good note: There are only 3 small spots of filler in this fender. Very minor to strip and straighten later.

I am gunning for your title Ryan....you better watch out.

Now....why does he have that title anyway? I missed the story along the way. (we need a scratching head smilie)

The body will not be a problem to strip this fall...if the rest of it is like this fender. I will strip each part (80 grit on a 3000 RPM sander) and spray it with SPI epoxy primer. Then go from there.

The rattlecan is just temporary to make it look better at a distance. That particular fender had rustoleum primer brushed in spots all over it. It was polka dotted. The whole truck is like that. :(

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
oh, not much of a story. I just spraypaint everything. I have manifolds, fenders, computers... anything really, and I change the color with spray paint.

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
Tell you what to do, Brian, Put the primer on so thick its dripping off. After its completely dry (laquer primer) use a long sander with 180 grit paper with long strokes. This procedure will fill any small imperfections. I used it back in the day when I painted at a local body shop.

oh, not much of a story. I just spraypaint everything. I have manifolds, fenders, computers... anything really, and I change the color with spray paint.

Ryan

I am NOT THAT BAD! :acclaim:

Just the truck inside and out for now. This fall it will come apart and get done correctly. Probably start after the show in July.

I have several HF tools being picked up for me now. As cash comes along...I will stock up on supplies. The garage is slowly getting cleaned out....

Now...my brother might have given you a run of your money when he was younger. Anything he could get his hands on he rattlecanned. :eek:

Tell you what to do, Brian, Put the primer on so thick its dripping off. After its completely dry (laquer primer) use a long sander with 180 grit paper with long strokes. This procedure will fill any small imperfections. I used it back in the day when I painted at a local body shop.

I have seen that done. I didn't know anyone did it in a shop though.

It will be easier to do it right in the fall (I hope). I am shooting for 50/50 this summer. 50 feet away and 50 miles an hour. :wavey:

I spy overspray...:spank:

Ryan

What you see is the PO painted a strip around everything on the truck. Some is red, some is red primer, some is black primer, some is gray primer. Look at the pics on my website to see what I mean. http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/56/index2.htm

What is on the running board and brake drum is sanding dust. I didn't clean it off when I washed the fender before painting.

:bowdown: :acclaim: :acclaim: :D

You are the master rattlecan user. I am just painting a truck with them.

Actually, I swapped Bronco II doors onto my ranger to get the vent windows. I painted them about 2 1/2 years ago with rattlecans (black, silver, clear). I was going to paint the whole truck (real paint), but then I bought the explorer and my brother ended up with the ranger. It still has the rattlecanned doors. 'hah'

Last edited:
anything for you, honey.

Ryan

Now that is scary!

I am collecting tools slowly. I have a small body tool set. The hockey pucks are coming. I have a shrinking disk. I am going to make some slappers (per metalshapers site). I think I am going to try to make a bullseye pick.

I have a 60 gallon black max 220v upright compressor. I have a 220v lincoln mig. I have 3 paint guns and a lot of other air tools. I have an engine hoist and a good floor jack.

I have an electric sander (for stripping the body).

I just need a lot of shop supplies, epoxy primer, filler, high build, base, clear, time, and a place to work. In other words money would help. LOL

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
You young uns won't recall this, but with nitrocellouse lacquer, painting a vehicle with a brush was very doable. The depth of the shine was fantastic. One coat on...sand. repeat as many times...usually about ten was about right, but I did 30 coats once, and you could see your self from 30 feet like your were looking in a mirror. After the last round of sanding, rub out the paint with a good polish. A buffer helps, if you know how to use one...otherwise, do it by hand. This technique was originally used on pianos when colored varnish was replaced by paint.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts