Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headlight preservation.........

I recently replaced the headlight bulbs in my Sentra. A day or so later I was at Wally World and noticed something called Crystal View in the automotive section. It is a kit that includes sand paper and other magic potions to clear up yellowed and aged headlight lenses. The lenses on my Sentra were real cloudy and have been for a while. I tried plast-x to clear them up but that was like wizzing in the wind. I decided to try this Crystal View kit, man what a difference. The headlights now look new. I began reading about it on the interwebs and found out that it is UV rays that mess up you lenses (like they mess up everything else). The kit included a sealant as the last step, but I dont believe that it will last to long as not even the sealant from the factory does that good of a job. I have a bottle of 303 aerospace stuff that is supposed to be a UV protectant. Would this work on my headlight lenses? Applied every month or so of course. Is there anything else that would do the job effectively, or do a better job? I will also use it on the truck to preserve the lenses from getting funky.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
SPF 90 sunscreen? I would love to clear up my headlights if it wasn't such a chore to uninstall, disassemble, reinstall, and aim.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I use good car wax on my headlights, about once a month and it seems to keep them from yellowing.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The seal between the housing and lens probably let go in your case Ryan. If you do take them apart to clean them, re seal them with a low modulus silicone when you put them back together.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The seal between the housing and lens probably let go in your case Ryan. If you do take them apart to clean them, re seal them with a low modulus silicone when you put them back together.

Is there a way you can get the lens off without taking the entire assembly out? That's the only thing scaring me away from it.

Ryan

The fog is in my head right now. It comes in a little silver pouch with two different grits of sandpaper, rubbing compound and sealer........oh and a rubber glove in case you have girly hands. Basically you wet sand with the rough sandpaper, than with the really fine sandpaper, put on the rubbing compound, wash the light and do 2 coats of sealer. Worth the $20 IMO. I can actually SEE at night now, the light is guided and not scattered and filtered like it was with the fog. I just want to keep them that way. Ryan, it shouldnt be but a couple bolts holding them in. If your issue is on the inside of the lights you may need to just buy new ones. Its amazing how much better the vehicle looks with clear headlight lenses.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
It's more than a couple bolts!

it's three funky clips that I got no idea how to remove without breaking something!!!

Dont know about 95's but in my 97 there were two clips that pulled straight up. The fun part for me was putting them back in. So, what does everyone think of 303 aership stuff for protecting headrice.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Dont know about 95's but in my 97 there were two clips that pulled straight up. The fun part for me was putting them back in. So, what does everyone think of 303 aership stuff for protecting headrice.
I think their website said they've got a lifetime guarantee on the sealer... If it starts to haze up then call the company and get another free pack of the stuff :)

it seems to be different levels of grit of rubbing compound. My fog is on the inside of the light.

Ryan

Mine is too, and it sucks at night... especially in the snow towing a boat in the fog... (as was the experience 3 weeks ago)...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You know...I've also seen toothpaste have similar affects of clearing up lenses. Dunno how it would compare to professional products, but I know toothpaste usually does a good enough job for me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
beat me to it.....colgate all the way man....

I've found the ones with the most tartar protection seem to do better...which usually is colgate...haha. The grittier the better.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts