Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headlight study: Only 1 out of 31 models rated 'good' by IIHS

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Pretty disappointing results considering the benefits that cold be had......if only .gov would embrace the technology and modernize standards they created about 50 years ago.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/03/30/car-headlight-highway-safety-study/82416824/

IMO:

a) update standards to embrace new technology and let the public use the technology

b) require auto leveling on projector/HID headlights. Like they require in Europe. Knock off the glare.

c) Encourage the usage of smart headlights. These are headlights that use LED's and cameras, are on high beam at all times but strategically turn LED's on/off as needed so as to best light the road for given conditions. For example, when in town and with other cars around, they appear as low beams but may point a few LED's towards the sidewalk if the cam see a hazard....such as, a pedestrian on a sidewalk. Place the light and the right amount of it where it delivers the greatest benefits

d) and finally, for the love of God, make the police to do their job. Cite people using these d*mn illegal, excessive glare creating and blinding HID's and LEDs inserted in incandescent fixtures rather properly inserted in a projector, one ticket for each illegal HID/LED combo. Next, make the law have teeth by first imposing a stiff fine and after that, start impounding the cars with the illegal equipment. Removing these lights and/or vehicles from public roadways not only generates positive cash flow for local police departments AND enhances public safety, but it gives a cop PC to pull a driver over and "go fishing". Fish for things like, stolen property, drugs, DUI, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Pretty sad. The other alarming trend is the increasing amount of people driving interstates that feel they don't have to dim their lights for oncoming traffic.

well said! but something even simpler i feel that most people have forgotten about the simple headlight adjustment, as well as changing out oxidized to hell lamp assemblies. never had problem running clean assemblies and sylvania xtravision's and driving down back county roads with deer blinds and other hazards as long as i keep the headlights adjusted.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I am with the guys complaining about high beams. Rarely do you even need high beams. All it is is an opportunity to blind your fellow driver.

Ryan

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Out here in the country we use high beams all the time very little traffic and lots of wildlife jumping in the roadway at night.
some of the headlights are annoying bright on some cars.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
X2 on using high beams and the clear fogs at night here, out on country roads and state highways where deer and other game are a hazard and traffic is typically light. They are also of great benefit to turn on when the oncoming vehicle is equipped with HID's illegally installed in a fixture designed for incandescent bulbs and thus, that vehicle causes blinding glare, making it extremely hard to see the road, especially on a rainy night.

*LED headlights in the 2015/2016 F-150 are borderline when you pass them and they are on low beam. Big bright flash in your eyes as they pass.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
X3 on the high beams.

I think part of the issue with trucks is the physical height and there isn't much that can be done. My 750 was brutal for that and I felt bad...but they were aimed correctly.

I do agree about the idiots that stick HID's in an incandescent bucket.

Same problem here. I've been caught out before when travelling on winding roads - they just about blind you which meant I had to almost come to a complete halt while my eye's adjusted. I was just thankful that I knew that particular stretch of road very well and that no one was right behind me otherwise the outcome may have been rather unpleasant.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Bring back the darn candles!!
Nobody got pee'd off with candle power...

No, but I know people who've peed in the acetylene generator in order to light the headlamps on Model T's to drive home.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Same problem here. I've been caught out before when travelling on winding roads - they just about blind you which meant I had to almost come to a complete halt while my eye's adjusted. I was just thankful that I knew that particular stretch of road very well and that no one was right behind me otherwise the outcome may have been rather unpleasant.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

So, this is an international problem? :D I think the UN should be involved.....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ian, I didn't know you were that old????!

I'm not...but the cars survive.

(I did once ride several miles after dark in a car built the same year my grandmother was born, that had enough generator output to fire either the headlamps or the spark plugs, but not both...when cars were coming, we'd flip on the lights and the engine would die.)

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i hate the blinding lights too.. both in front of me and behind me... with the ceiling of my truck being 7 ft high.. it shouldnt be lit up like the fricken daylight.. theres times i wish i could mount rear facing lights for them jerks that sit behind me with the high beams on.. turn them rear ones on and blind them back with giant spot lights.. had one guy sitting behind me like that and i nearly ran over someone that was driving next to me when i tried to merg over to get out of the direct beams.. my side mirrors were so blindingly bright that i couldnt see the guy in the next lane..

the biggest problem isnt that we dont have laws for those brightened assemblies... the problem is theyve made them secondary offences.. so just like the talking on the cell phones when driving (ie distracted driving) the cops cant pull them over without a more serious offence (primary offence) first...

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
i hate the blinding lights too.. both in front of me and behind me... with the ceiling of my truck being 7 ft high.. it shouldnt be lit up like the fricken daylight.. theres times i wish i could mount rear facing lights for them jerks that sit behind me with the high beams on.. turn them rear ones on and blind them back with giant spot lights.. had one guy sitting behind me like that and i nearly ran over someone that was driving next to me when i tried to merg over to get out of the direct beams.. my side mirrors were so blindingly bright that i couldnt see the guy in the next lane..

the biggest problem isnt that we dont have laws for those brightened assemblies... the problem is theyve made them secondary offences.. so just like the talking on the cell phones when driving (ie distracted driving) the cops cant pull them over without a more serious offence (primary offence) first...

Were you singing "Blinded by the Light..."

I know how you like to sing, lol!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
nope roy..

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
He in Maryland they will pull you over for bright headlights or talking on a cell.

Every morning years back had a guy with kc's on a jeep pass on the other side of the road blinding everyone. I saw him one morning getting gas. I pulled in at told him to turn those lights off they were blinding everyone. The next morning he still had them on.
The next day I was ready for him I had a Qbeam spot light 100,000,000 candle power I lit the bastard up. Saw him the next day his lights were off. Ran into him later somewhere he was mouthy I blinded him told him payback is a *****. He kept them off after a million power dose of his own medicine.

Ford Truck Articles