Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

highway biased all-terrain?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Popped a tire on the Ranger tonight- have to look at it daylight tomorrow (or I guess I could drag it into the kitchen tonight...:wasntme: ), but based on how fast it went flat, I doubt there's any chance of salvaging it.

I could replace it in kind...the other three still have loads of tread, but I really don't like these tires. They're the factory Goodyear Wranglers, with somewhere around 20k miles- and they're just rock-hard rubber, with lousy grip.

Figured I should at least price out four better tires...any suggestions?

Not worried about snow (I run dedicated winter tires), no hardcore off-road. I put virtually all my miles on state highways or interstates at speeds of 50+ mph, so highway manners are important- but I drive on gravel roads enough to need some traction on loose gravel/muddy roads.

I want quiet and longevity- I'm not looking for an off-road tire. Size is 235/75-15, and I'm not interested in changing size.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Michelin, Michelin, and Michelin. Kumho come in for honorable mention.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

FWIW, the F150 has Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's on it, and I've been really impressed with

1. How well they held up (consider Nick's done most of the driving)
2. How quiet they are on pavement
3. How well they grip in mud/gravel and snow (this truck spends it's fair share of time on BLM and logging roads).

Roughly 45,000 miles on the set, and still a good 20% read left. Originally Nick wanted to swap them out for a on-off road tire, but I talked him out of it because 1) they were almost new and 2) he still spends the majority of his driving time on pavement.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Michelin, Michelin, and Michelin. Kumho come in for honorable mention.

OK, figured Michelin would make the short list. I always thought of Kumho as primarily junky OEM tires...have to check 'em out. I'll look at the Silent Armor's, too, but I've been sorely disappointed by Goodyears in the past.

Thanks!

Dragged the tire under the porch light- 1/2" gash in the tread. Without getting into a debate on plugging tires...is that something that could be considered repairable? Or is it just too big?

Michelin does not make a tire that they classify as an All Terrain, just all season. BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin, but who knows what that means.

ah, now that someone mentioned BFG, I can add my two cents. My 2wd Ranger came from the dealer with the Long Trail TA's not bad tires, P235/70 R16. Replaced 'em at 45k with a new set of the Long Trail TA Tours, absolute garbage, really turned me off to BFG, by 30k very worn, poor traction (obviously), and had chunks of rubber coming off. Anyway, got a cheap pair of General Grabbers on the front now and some inexpensive Hankook snow tires (Ipike?) on the rear, be a year next month with that set up, and I'm pretty happy. For my 1ton I'm looking at either some Hankook's or for a little more some Yokohama Geolanders. Anyway short story long, I know nothing about the BFG Mud Terrains.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1/2" in the tread...I say that's very patchable...probably not pluggable though. If nothing else, patch it and tube it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Bridgestone Dueler All Terrain Revo 2. Those Dueler Revo tires are amazing. They do great in snow, last forever, and were not noticably louder than a highway/passenger tire I previously had.

Ryan

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
Bridgestone Dueler All Terrain Revo 2. Those Dueler Revo tires are amazing. They do great in snow, last forever, and were not noticably louder than a highway/passenger tire I previously had.

Ryan

Took the words out of my mouth. Best all terrain tire on the highway I have ever drove. Michelins just cost too much. you can get an better tire than paying for the name there. I love michelins on the wifes car, but that is about it. Their AT2 tire does not look like much of an AT to me

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Michelin BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are all high on my list...

Toyo is a really great tire, the 87 Suburban had Toyos on it when i got it... but they wanted $285 a piece for new ones, so now it has BFG Commercial All Terrains on it... But that's all 16"...

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Michelin does not make a tire that they classify as an All Terrain, just all season. BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin, but who knows what that means.

They most certainly do. LTX A/T 2

Largest tires manufacturer in the world- if it's round and holds air, they make it.

Took the words out of my mouth. Best all terrain tire on the highway I have ever drove. Michelins just cost too much. you can get an better tire than paying for the name there. I love michelins on the wifes car, but that is about it. Their AT2 tire does not look like much of an AT to me

Remember "all-terrain" means primarily highway with some unpaved off-road. A maximum traction off road tires is what most guys here think is "all terrain."

Ryan

I had a set of Revo's on an Expedition. Two gripes- they were noisy, and didn't wear for crap. Otherwise, great tires. Can't hold a candle to a Michelin, though, IMO.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
1/2" in the tread...I say that's very patchable...probably not pluggable though.

In good light it's more like an inch than 1/2"...stopped by a tire shop today and the guy said no way.

If I was broke and/or used the truck differently, there's lots of cheaper options...but I've been halfway thinking about replacing these just on the basis of wet weather performance.

Bridgestone Dueler All Terrain Revo 2. Those Dueler Revo tires are amazing.

THAT was the one I was trying to think of.

Might just throw the snows on it tomorrow night- it's too early and I hate to put the wear on 'em, but I need four matched, safe tires by Saturday mid-morning...:(

EDIT: I think a lot of you guys are missing the HIGHWAY BIASED part. I don't want an off-road tire, or an on-off road tire. I want a highway tire with a little bit of tread.

Last edited:
They most certainly do. LTX A/T 2

Largest tires manufacturer in the world- if it's round and holds air, they make it.

Remember "all-terrain" means primarily highway with some unpaved off-road. A maximum traction off road tires is what most guys here think is "all terrain."

I had a set of Revo's on an Expedition. Two gripes- they were noisy, and didn't wear for crap. Otherwise, great tires. Can't hold a candle to a Michelin, though, IMO.

:rofl2:

I resemble that remark.. :wavey:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

So what you're saying is...just because it doesn't say Interco on the sidewall, doesn't make it an A/T...whodathunkit.

Just to add I average 100 miles a day 5-6 days a week on those tires; And I had the installed on 8-25...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have run BFG A/T's on nearly every truck i have had and been very happy with the wear and traction. The few times that I have been off road I have aired them down and they have performed very well. Not in a foot of mud, but typical logging road type conditions.

I'm getting a good run out of Hankook dynapro a/t on my truck - just over 16000 miles and showing bugger all wear yet.

They run quiet and even though i'm only 2wd they seem to be ok on firewood gathering expeditions.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The quietest and longest wearing tires I ever had were Safemark tires. They were more of a highway tread but did Ok on wet grass and wet surfaces.
They had a 60 or 70K tread rating and I got just about the rating which is odd because I seldom get anywhere near the tread ratings.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts