Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

horn help

i have two horns on my truck both work, i do not have the insert for my steering wheel with the horn buttons thought about sticking them to a toggle switch or a button on the dash for right now. i can follow the wire up the relay then theres a yellow and one that looks black, where exactly do those two wires run? i don't see them anywhere underneath the dash..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
cant say for sure... but the older vehicles use to have a big plug connector on the side of the steering column under the dash... from there it ran up the insides of the column to the contact plate...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The jist of it being that the horn relay coil is powered and you need to complete the coil circuit to ground in order to close the relay and energize the horn.
You can do that with a momentary pushbutton.

Do not bypass the relay as the horn(s) take a few amps each.

hat is the exact location of the wires?

Horn wire should be yellow/green stripe

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I will check to see if the 77's have the same wiring tomorrow...think they do, but I might be wrong. If it's different, I will scan an post the wiring diagram.

The wires going into the cab off the really are a thicker yellow one then a smaller black one. But under the dash there aren't any. There's a yellow/black one that runs up into the steering column is that for the horn?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
diagram says black w/ yellow stripe there...

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Try the junkyards you might find a horn pad for your truck, the one for the 73 - 77 s are the same, or you could find a 78 to 86 wheel with horn pad, and it would work, and should be reasonably priced I had done that swap on a 77 F-350 that I had many years ago.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts